A love for running takes Melissa Wheeler to the Big Apple

Biology professor finds motivation in her training
Wheeler captures the wave of runners who begin the marathon on the Staten Island bridge. Photo provided by Melissa Wheeler.

The iconic lines of “New York, New York” by Frank Sinatra play in the background as runners prepare for the start. A blare of the cannon sends everyone running, and the music fades into a whisper as Biology Assistant Professor Melissa Wheeler sets off on the “hardest marathon” she has ever done.

Choosing to participate in the New York City Marathon is no easy task as spots are competitive. It marks one of the largest marathons held in the United States, with “over 50,000 runners every year,” according to Wheeler. 

She initially qualified for the run in 2019 but due to the uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic and an injury, she waited nearly three years to complete this “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Like most marathons, it spanned 26.2 miles, but NYC had no straight path. Runners traveled up and down bridges and streets, passing through Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan and the Bronx. Wheeler completed the run from the start in Staten Island to the end in Central Park in 4 hours and remembers feeling “physically exhausted, but mostly happy.”

When crossing the finish line, it felt like a “big party,” as she was greeted by hundreds of spectators cheering for her accomplishment and a metal waiting for her.  

“It’s hard to describe the energy in the city, which is so incredible,” Wheeler said. “Random people were like congratulations, you did a great job,” as she walked back to her hotel after the marathon, beaming with excitement. 

Before her marathon in early November, Wheeler completed six since she started running in 2016. 

Her motivation began as a way to take a break from her studies, but after preparing for half to full marathons, “the exercise became a routine.” She found motivation in the training, adding her drive for “setting a goal and trying to achieve it.” 

Although it may come as no surprise, Wheeler said her training process involves “lots of running” to build up her “base fitness.” Week after week, she gradually built up her endurance to take on farther distances and finish in faster times. 

On the day of a run, Wheeler describes the process as “a total mind game,” as runners need to be physically and mentally ready to make it to the end. It may be challenging, but she recommends anyone interested to “go for it.” 

She adds, “You can do it, I promise. If you’re motivated, I believe that anyone can accomplish it.” 

Wheeler plans to keep running as she continues to set goals for improvement. She has no dates set on her calendar for the next marathon but is excited about another challenge. 

When reflecting on her experience in New York, Wheeler said, “It feels very fulfilling personally because I have always seen myself as a non-athlete. To accomplish something so physically demanding feels like a big achievement.”