Mustangs end the season in dominating fashion

Focus shifted to Play-in match for NorCal playoffs
Los Medanos College Mustangs womens soccer player Zuleyka Berumen attempts to steal the ball from the Comets player.
Mohammad Najimi
Los Medanos College Mustangs women’s soccer player Zuleyka Berumen attempts to steal the ball from the Comets player.

The Los Medanos College women’s soccer team came into the final game of the season on Nov. 9 against the Solano College Falcons with an undefeated record against the Bay Valley Conference looking to continue their winning streak.

Fortunately for LMC, they dominated in the entire game ending the season 12-0 against the BVC with a final score of 7-0. Solano couldn’t muster up any kind of offense as the Stangs dominated.

The ball never went into the LMC defensive zone except for when goalie kicks and clears happened for Solano. Other than that, LMC’s offense had a field day on home turf.

The scoring opened in the 13th minute when Zuleyka Berumen dribbled the ball toward the Solano net and passed it to Nathalie Farias. Farias would then take the ball and shoot the ball just out of reach from the Solano goalkeeper, Jayden Hill.

Seven minutes later and with constant pressure on the Solano defense, Emily Jimenez broke through as she dribbled the ball into a clear shot that went through the goalkeeper’s legs and into the net extending LMC’s lead to 2-0.

By halftime, LMC garnered a 4-0 lead after goals from Briana Garcia and Ariana Chavez. 

When they returned for the second half, Solano switched their goalies from Hill to Ella Gervasoni trying to change the momentum in their favor.

However, this tactic wouldn’t work as four minutes into the second half, LMC converted an incredible passing play for another goal extending their lead to 5-0. The passing play started with Berumen passing the ball to Farias and then to Garcia giving her an easy score.

From this goal to the 79th minute, both teams would attempt to get past the opposing defense but wouldn’t be able to do so. However, in the 80th minute, LMC broke through yet again. 

Liliana Bailey would bring the ball up the field and pass it to Olivia Kamm attempting to make a play. Kamm had other thoughts as she would shoot the ball 15 yards away from the net finding the top left corner giving the LMC a resounding 6-0 lead heading into the final 10 minutes of the game.

A couple of minutes later, another goal would find the back of the net as Bernice Dairo received and shot the ball off a save from Gervasoni on Farias’ shot. Dairo would have a clear open net finishing the game off with a score of 7-0.

With this win, LMC ends the season 12-0, including 5 forfeits, against the BVC and with an overall record of 14-5-2. Their last defeat came against the Cañada Colts on Sept. 26.

During the 12-0 run against their conference, if you subtract the games that were forfeited, the Mustangs outscored their opponents 41-1 with the biggest victory coming against the Merritt College Thunderbirds 9-0 on Oct. 13. The lone goal gave up came against Napa Valley College on Oct. 24.

The Falcons end their season 8-2-2 against the BVC and an overall record of 8-8-3. They finished second in the conference behind the LMC Stangs.

They now look ahead to the NorCal playoffs in a play-in match that started on Nov. 16 against Modesto College.