Offensive blowout seals third consecutive win

Stangs remain undefeated in conference play
Los+Medanos+College+womens+soccer+forward+Zuleyka+Berumen+looking+to+dribble+past+the+Mendocino+defender.+
Mohammad Najimi
Los Medanos College women’s soccer forward Zuleyka Berumen looking to dribble past the Mendocino defender.

The Los Medanos College Mustangs women’s soccer team faced off against the Mendocino Eagles and dominated the entire game as they won 6-0 in a blowout victory. The Eagles never stood a chance as the Stangs offense hounded them throughout the game.

The game started off with both teams looking to gain possession for the first 10 minutes of the match. After that, the Stangs kept possession in their offensive zone for the remainder of the half.

Throughout the offensive onslaught, in the 19th minute, Brenda Ramirez received a pass from Nathalie Farias and sniped a shot over Star Brightman’s, the Eagles goalkeeper, hand from 25 yards away from the net scoring the first goal of the game for the Stangs. 

Stangs kept the offensive pressure going with Maliah Alicea, the Stangs goalkeeper, not seeing any shots toward her. The Stangs defense has been the bright spot for this team the entire season so far. 

In the 30th minute, LMC received a corner kick after the Eagles defender tipped the ball out of bounds. Ariana Chavez decided to take the corner and the kick went straight to Farias. She successfully tipped the ball into the back of the net, extending the LMC lead to 2-0.

In the 37th minute, the Stangs had a chance to get another goal as Ramirez sent an incredible pass giving Bella Burton an open net, however, the shot went over the net keeping the score at 2-0.

Going into halftime, the Stangs didn’t allow the ball to get within 20 yards of their own net, which would be the theme for the rest of the game.

LMC’s offense didn’t relent as they got good looks, but couldn’t score until the 52nd minute when Burton passed the ball to Liliana Bailey for a shot 20 yards out from the net. This goal gave the Stangs a comfortable 3-0 lead with 38 minutes remaining in the game.

The LMC defense wouldn’t allow the Eagles to muster any offense as they continued their incredible play.

In the 80th minute, LMC would put the game away as Ramirez would score again on an incredible pass from Alexis Garcia, giving LMC a 4-0 lead. The scoring didn’t stop there though.

One minute later, Garcia would dribble the ball into their offensive zone getting another assist, this time to Chavez to give LMC a 5-0 lead. It still wasn’t the last goal to be scored by LMC.

In the 87th minute, LMC would kick the ball looking to get a breakaway, however, the ball went too far, and Brightman would come out to attempt to clear the ball away from the Eagles net. It wouldn’t be successful as Bernice Dairo came up running, tipping the ball into the net, ending the game with a score of 6-0 in favor of LMC.

The past two games for this women’s soccer team saw offensive domination as they scored 13 combined goals against the Marin Mariners and the Mendocino Eagles. 

The Stangs are 4-0 against the Bay Valley Conference which is key for them to make the playoffs. They improved their overall record to 6-5-2 and are currently on a three-game winning streak heading into the final eight games of the season with all games against the BVC. 

Their next home game will be against the Merritt Thunderbirds on Friday, Oct. 13 at 2 p.m.