Women’s soccer team falls to hawks

Back to back losses for first time this season
Mohammad Najimi
Los Medanos Mustangs women’s soccer forward Reina Ramos-Hall attempts to steal the ball from a hawks attacker.

The Los Medanos College Mustangs women’s soccer team went onto the field coming off a 2-0 loss to Consumnes River College and were hoping to get back into the win column against the Las Positas Hawks. Unfortunately, the offensive pressure by the Hawks in the second half was too much and resulted in a 3-1 loss.

The game started out fast and in LMC’s favor as Zuleyka Berumen got an incredible assist as she passed it right by the opposing goalie into a tip-in by Emily Jimenez. This was a magnificent show of teamwork and offensive skill as the Mustangs grabbed an early 1-0 lead in the first five minutes of the game.

LMC’s goalkeeper Maliah Alicea would do as much as she could, even getting an incredible save on a free kick, not allowing the Hawks to score.

However, this would be the only goal and noteworthy shot that the Mustangs got as they were constantly on defense for the remainder of the game.

The Las Positas Hawks would then turn on their offensive game as they constantly hounded LMC’s goal with shots, but only got one goal through Danielle Castro in the 30th minute.

The game was tied going into halftime. The first half was as competitive as could be with both teams scoring heading into the second half.

In the second half, the Hawks stayed on offense for the most part. LMC had two possessions in their offensive zone that quickly got stopped and turned the other way.

The ball was constantly in LMC’s defensive side and the pressure of clearing the ball didn’t help the Stangs as two more goals were allowed in the 55th minute and the 75th minute of the game. 

In the 55th minute, Nadia Santiag received a pass from Irie O’Donnell on a breakaway with only the goalie to get passed. Santiag would shoot the ball right under Alicea’s outstretched hand scoring the Hawks’ second goal of the game. LMC’s defense fell apart as they all looked gassed from the repeated pressure from Las Positas’ offense.

In the 75th minute, Kaitlyn Lemus kicked the ball right over the Stangs’ defenders allowing Judith Orozco to get another 1 on 1 with the goalie. This time, the goalie had no chance as Orozco shot the ball to the left side of the net when Alicea believed it was going to the right.

The game started off competitive, but Las Positas offensive pressure was too much for LMC as their overall record went to 2-3-1.

Their next game is Friday on the road against the City College of San Francisco at 2 p.m. with tickets sold online. Their next home game will be Tuesday, Sept. 26 against Canada College at 2 p.m.