Los Medanos College celebrates the final days of Lunar New Years

Commemorating the cultural holiday
Lesly Fisiiahi
Students gather around to watch the movie Turning Red in the Student Union Building on Tuesday, Feb 20.

To celebrate the tenth day and end of Lunar New Year, Los Medanos College hosted an event for its Chinese culture by presenting activities, food and a movie. Open to all, the event took place in the second floor of the Student Union building on Feb. 20.

Organized by Student Life and the Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) committee, the idea came to be in January, as they wanted to bring awareness to all the Asian Pacific Islander community. Math instructor, Abbey Duldulao and Student Life coordinator Lindsay Litowitz were the main hosts for this event.

The event’s main activity was a movie screening of Disney’s “Turning Red.” There was a section for students to fill red envelopes with well wishes for their family along with catered Chinese food from Panda Express and other food chains.

“We’re serving food that is familiar to their culture,” said Dudulao.”We want to make sure that they feel important.”

Kapwa President Heidriani Nanon and Vice President Ethan Balamiento helped alongside hosting the event by serving the food for students. They had learned about the event during one of the Inter-Club Council meetings. They got involved in the decision making of which snacks to serve such as mochi and shrimp chips.

“Those snacks bring a lot of good memories,” said Nanon. “Kapwa is a part of APIDA so we naturally came here to support them today.”

Counselor Melissa Pon attended this event because she thought it was important to come and  support the community and its diversity. She said that her favorite part about the event was people coming together and learning about a culture that they haven’t known much of before.

“Serving the food and definitely the movie was my favorite part because I’ve never seen it,” said Balamiento.

Students and faculty that came to support this celebration enjoyed this day of festivities while it lasted between 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.