Thanksgiving Baskets handed out by LMC

Students and Faculty go home with unique dishes
Several+tables+line+the+Student+Union+for+food+distribution+and+students+as+well+as+write+about+what+they+are+thankful+for+this+year+and+semester.+
Ashley Reitz
Several tables line the Student Union for food distribution and students as well as write about what they are thankful for this year and semester.

Friendsgiving Thanksgiving Basket Distribution was hosted in the Student Union building by the Marketplace Nov. 20-22 and provided LMC community members all the fixings for a Thanksgiving meal.

Students and faculty who registered by the Nov. 13 deadline could drop in to pick up their meals anytime in the allotted time window. The basket distribution was a success with 165 people registered, up from 125 from last year. While it’s not publicized in the flyers, the third day was for the students and faculty who didn’t register or pick up their baskets the first two days.

Members of the LMC community who came to grab their meals were met with an array of options ranging from canned goods like pineapple and apple sauce, to different flavors of cakes, as well as traditional Thanksgiving side dishes. And, of course, the option of a whole chicken or tofu turkey.

This is the second year Megela O’hare, the Basic Needs Program Coordinator, helped coordinate the event. She and Student Life associates worked the previous Friday to get all items organized and assembled into bags for those coming to pick up their meals.

O’hare knows the holiday season can be difficult and stressful for many and wanted to provide something extra special as a bonus.

“It was a lot of work but to see their joy is worth it,” O’hare said.

There were new things offered this year like a table that had bags with mac and cheese food creation ideas to provide inspiration for people to spice up their food. A table was also set up for those with an electronic benefit transfer card that could receive cash gifts to different places.

“Having this as a resource for others is great,” Student Life member Kat Pangilinan said. “Seeing families come in makes me happy.”

The Friendsgiving Basket Event is a way for the community on campus to come together in support of one another as the holiday season begins.

Leo Cavarria, a member of Student Life, said the event makes the campus feel like home.

“It feels like you’re making a change in the community,” Cavarria said. “Feels very rewarding continuing to cultivate that environment.”

Those in attendance were in good spirits with music playing through a speaker, creating a friendly and inviting environment.

This was the first year Lindsay Litowitz, the program coordinator for Student Life, experienced the Friendsgiving Distribution at LMC. She described the event as “awesome.”

The annual event that originally started because of student initiative, is now made possible with partnerships with LMC Marketplace, Umoja, Honors, EOPS and Equity and Inclusion. Donations from faculty for funding also made this event possible.