Schools visit for preview night

Los Medanos College invited high school students and their parents to campus Monday night for its annual College Night event.

“Transfer Day [a companion event, see page 1]focuses on current LMC students who are looking to transfer, and College Night is for local East Contra Costa County High School students,” said Transfer Center Coordinator Tara Dale Sanders. “Having both fairs on one day allows more schools to attend and reach more students.”

Before entering the gym on College Night, attendees were given LMC bookstore bags to carry informational packets, flyers, and bookmarks passed out by the universities represented. 65 colleges were represented during the event and attendance approximated 650 to 750.

In addition to the universities represented, LMC invited the Honors Program, Puente Program, Transfer Academy, Financial Aid, Outreach and Computer Science Department to participate.

Although it was a hot and crowded night inside the gym, students were not swayed away from speaking to representatives and getting the information about their favorite universities. Some students were lured to tables that had candy given out to anyone who came by.

“I liked talking to the representative from University of San Diego,” said Sarah Kawaguchi, a student currently trying to attend LMC for the spring semester. “I never thought I would want to attend a four-year university but tonight it really changed my [perspective] on things.”

College Night not only helps students narrow down choices for their schools of interest, it provides them a sense that they’re not alone in the process of applying or transferring to a new school.

“What I like most is that students have the opportunity to meet with multiple representatives one on one,” said Sanders. “It really humanizes the process and makes it less intimidating. There’s something very personal and reassuring about meeting with someone from a College or University in person.”

This event also gave students the opportunity to ask questions regarding financial concerns, and requirements for applying and living arrangements.

Options available for students to assist in paying for college are FAFSA, Federal Aid that comes with help from Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and the Federal Perkins Student Loan.

Students may also be eligible for the Cal Grant A, which gives a student up to $9,708 per academic year, Cal Grant B which gives a student from $1,551 – $11,259 per academic year and lastly Cal Grant C which gives a student up to $3,168 per academic year.

“I would want people to know that it’s never too early in the process to get help,” explained Sanders. “The Transfer Center is here to help every step of the way-even if students missed the fair, they can still come by the center and get assistance.

The number one thing all representatives told high school students or future transferring students was to speak with a counselor and make sure they’re on the right track before they apply.

“I learned a lot from College Night. I would suggest to all students whether they’re a LMC student or high school student to come to the next College Night,” said Kawaguchi. “Being able to speak to a representative without having to make an appointment was easy and not stressful either.”

Students should stop by the Transfer Center if they have any questions or need further information about transferring to colleges or universities and visit the counseling center located in their new location next to the English department in the second floor of the college complex.