LMC Club Carnival draws a lively crowd

Students explore groups on campus
Angella Dorado
Angelica Bruno hands out cotton candy at the Art Club table during Club Carnival in the Student Union Conference Center Feb. 27.

Students were introduced to various clubs at LMC during the Club Carnival held in the Student Union Conference Center on Feb. 27. Many clubs welcomed everyone with free food and other goods during the event.

“I hope that the students are aware of how many clubs we have on campus, potentially join one, but at least know what’s going on and have an afternoon of fun,” said Inter-Club Council Advisor Lindsay Litowitz.

The Art Club attracted students by drawing caricatures of them at their table and giving out cotton candy. Vice President Lauren Gannod explained that the club is a space for students to do art together, participate in art discussions, and have fun. They encourage people of all art abilities to join them.

The S.T.R.E.A.M. Club displayed LMC recording arts magazines at their table. Club member Michael Hummel said that the club aims to let students feel like their music aspirations are possible. He explained that it’s an inspirational experience for him adding “Being around people who are interested in making music is inspiring.” 

One of the new clubs at the carnival was the International Students Club for foreign students. Ebun Femi-Olojo explained that many foreign students come to a new country feeling alone, so this club is a place for them to get support from others. They hope students join them at their first meeting that is scheduled for March 5 from 1 to 2 p.m. on the second floor of the Student Union. 

F.I.R.M.E. was another new club at the event. President Leeroy Rios explained its purpose is to uplift Latino men by promoting positive masculinity and to get more male participation in clubs.

The carnival gave students who were not familiar with any clubs the opportunity to get a feel for what they were like and see if any of them caught their eye. 

“I knew we have clubs but I haven’t really heard of any so that’s why I came here today,” said student Cai Lockhart

She added that the Art Club and the Gaming Club were the ones that caught her interest the most. 

Litowitz explained that clubs allow students to have fun and express themselves.

“It’s the one part of school where they’re doing it just for fun,” Litowitz said. “They get to decide the topic of their club and what their club does.”

Gannod believes it’s important for students to get involved in clubs at school. 

“Sometimes if you just focus too much on the academic stuff, academics are not gonna be fun for you,” Gannod said. “I feel like joining a club can not only help you network yourself and build a career but find friends, find people that you trust … joining a club, in general, is a good bet if you want to have more of a social life at LMC.”

All students are welcome to join a club that interests them. To learn more information about the chartered clubs on campus, you can visit https://www.losmedanos.edu/studentservices/clubs/index.aspx