LMC Puente and LatinX students celebrate Posada

Festivities held in the Student Union

Puente and the LatinX club hosted a Posada event as an icebreaker for its students in the Student Union building at Los Medanos College on Feb. 9.

A variety of foods were brought to this event by members and students that RSVP’d on the LMC LatinX club Instagram account. 

Puente Vice President Jesus Gonzalez said he thought the potluck would be a way to “tie it to Mexican culture, between both [Puente and LatinX].”

Gonzalez said that the event was a long time coming since they originally planned it back in September, however they wanted to hold the event at a time that was convenient for everyone. It was a planned event that everyone came up with and pitched together.

After an hour into the event, when everyone had settled in, a piñata activity was set up outside of the Student Union building, by LatinX Co-President Leeroy Rios, faculty member Maureen Wilhoite and Puente advisor Anthony Scoggins. 

Once they were finished tying the piñata, they sent Gonzalez to call the students to come out and play the game.

A handful of students had the chance to put on a blindfold and take a swing at the piñata. When it finally fell to the ground, Scoggins smashed it open for the rest of the students to collect the spilled candy.

Puente Club President Gabriel Perez Cano was surprised that Posada turned out better than he expected to.

“We didn’t think there’d be a lot of people but once we laid out the food, that’s when they students] started coming,” said Perez Cano.

Rios had created flyers and the RSVP list for those that were coming to the event. Daniela Hernandez, co-president of LatinX had contributed in everything to planning the event.

“It was a 10/10, everyone got to have fun and enjoy their food,” said Hernandez. Everything turned out good, since we got to help and meet new people.”

Students were able to learn about this event from various sources, ranging from flyers to emails.

Puente student Vania Saldana found out about this Posada event through an email sent by Scoggins. Student Kevin Sanchez heard of it through the Posada flyer and was informed by Rios.

Plenty of foods and activities were presented for the purpose to involve Puente and LatinX student members, which lasted between 1-2:30 p.m. on Thursday.