Second floor of College Complex building partially blocked off at Los Medanos College

Precaution taken for 20-year old crack
Aliyah Ramirez
Part of the second and first floors of the College Complex building at the Los Medanos Pittsburg campus are blocked off as precaution to a crack in the ceiling of the second floor.

During a Facilities Master Plan onsite assessment last summer, a crack was found underneath the east entrance of the Student Services building on the second floor of the College Complex. There has not been a confirmed reason for the damage, but the area has been under repair going into the spring semester,

While the repair zone was not detrimental to the first week of classes, it still leaves students and staff inquiring about its cause. 

“I’m not quite sure exactly what the issue is, I have not been totally informed,” Art Professor Nick Nabas said. “It didn’t impact my actual day, but it did adjust schedules, which meant notifying students and updating pages.” 

Due to ongoing assessments of the building, all offices and classrooms nearby have been moved as a precaution. 

“I was able to find my classes okay,” says Mariah Cannady. “I just hope it’s over soon.” 

Although the crack has been present for some time, contractors aren’t certain of the cause and are waiting for a complete status report before drawing assumptions. 

I would caution that there is a lot of speculation as to the cause, but we should wait for the report and its finding before proceeding,” said Carlos Montoya, Vice President of Business & Administrative Services. 

While the college waits for a report on the damages, LMC’s Maintenance and Operations Team ensures students are safe inside the building. 

“From my understanding, [the crack] was identified over 20 years ago,” said Jarrod Holcombe, Director of Maintenance and Operations. “It has been periodically monitored by engineers until now and has only been characterized as a cosmetic crack and not considered structural.” 

Additional support has been put up in the affected area for extra precaution, as confirmed by the structural engineer.

According to Holcombe, during the college’s 50 years of operations, there have been no other known structural damages in the College Complex. For now, the exploratory phase of the building’s repair will continue into the next few weeks.