Solano pitchers shine on mound

The first place Solano College Falcons soared into Los Medanos and took the field by storm, winning both games in five innings by way of the mercy rule.

The first game the Eagles won 14-0 and 10-0 the second.

Solano pitcher Rachel Sponsler threw a no-hitter in game one as she helped lead her team to victory.

“It felt absolutely amazing, knowing I have defense behind me,” said Sponsler in response to her performance.

Sponsler’s coach was highly impressed with the feat and claimed “she’s the best pitcher in the conference.” She added that she has defeated every single conference opponent.

Despite the no-hitter, the Mustangs still hit he ball with force, but the Solano defense didn’t let up.

“We put the ball in play, she was effective, we can do better,” said LMC head coach Tim Griffith.

The Eagles bats also came alive in both games and lit up the scoreboard.

“A lot of balls to the fence, it was a good offensive attack,” said Solano head coach Terri Pearson-Bloom.

“They were hitting everything, they were outhitting us,” said LMC catcher Lauren Townsend.

In game two, pitcher Amber Takeda made her first start of the season and didn’t disappoint.

“She’s earned her first start… she has a ton of potential,” said Pearson-Bloom.

Going into the day, Griffith and the Mustangs knew they were heading into a tough double-header. Solano has won the conference seven straight seasons and have always been contenders.

“We faced a good team, they made an overwhelming majority of plays, I got to hand it to Solano, they don’t have any weaknesses,” said Griffith.

Despite LMC losing both games, Pearson-Bloom had nothing but good things to say about Griffith and his squad.

LMC has a lot of talent and they are an up and coming team said Pearson-Bloom. She added “they have a good head coach and this program is only going to get better.”

Solano will go to second place conference rivals Yuba for a double-header for the last game of the season. The winner of that series decides who wins the Bay Valley conference.

The Mustangs look to end the season on a high note as the final double-header of the season is at Mendocino at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Tuesday, April 23.