Ladies return to diamond

After a year of absence, the softball program is back in business at Los Medanos College.

While a lack of interest left LMC with out softball during the spring of 2012, a new cast of athletes is ready to take the field this year.

Tim Griffith will be taking the reigns as head coach. Having spent the previous four years at Diablo Valley College as the assistant coach, Griffith enters into his 26th year of coaching. The humble Griffith said he is proud and honored to rebuild this team as head coach.

“LMC has a long history of success, [and] has always been a force to contend with… I’m here to make things successful

again,” said Griffith. As of right now a state

championship and division title remains to be seen in the school’s trophy case, but the team is hopeful of decorating the school’s gym with softball pennants.

“I can’t wait for what the season brings, and I hope we do a good job,” said catcher/third baseman Loren Townsend.

After a three-year hiatus, Townsend is ready to get back on the diamond and take a leading role. She said she “feels good” and is excited about playing at a higher level.

With only three returning players, the team has assem- bled a crew of 22.

“We are working hard, and tr ying to get better,” said pitch- er Michelle Gorman. “There are a lot of new girls.”

Gorman is one of the three returners, and considers her- self a leader. She said that it “sucked” that the program was defunct last year, but is relieved it is up and running again.

Griffith is content with the collection of players he has.

“These are strong women that know the game, and are a force to compete with,” said Griffith.

Although he has a full team, Griffith encourages more play- ers with experience to tr y out as there are many positions still up for grabs.

The season begins next spring, and the team is current- ly practicing Monday though Thursday, 3:15-5:15 p.m. on the LMC softball field. If you are interested or want more information, contact Griffith at 705-1088.