Stangs steal first victory

The Los Medanos College Mustangs rallied in overtime Saturday, Sept. 1 to beat the Hart- nell Panthers in an amazing fourth quarter comeback 43-37.
Hartnell had the appearance of victor y in what should have been an easy win against the Stangs.  Within the first three quarters, the Panthers had outscored the home team 16-37.
LMC did itself few favors in return, getting hit on several personal fouls that assisted the visiting team in grabbing points. Hartnell running back De’Andre Mann and quarterback Josh Correia seemed to put the young defense on ice for the  first few series and had all but wrapped this one up.
“We had a pretty good lead and I think our guys rested on that,” Hartnell head coach Matt Collins said after the loss. “But I tip my hat to the heart of the Los Medanos team…I know this is a big win for them and they deserve it.”
During what most fans thought to have been a losing battle, the Mustangs gathered their wits and  heart to collect their first victory since the 2010 season. Quarterback Mike Behr, wide receiver Terrence Brooks and running back Shawn Vasquez put on a spectacular show in the remaining minutes  of the fourth quarter.
“Our offense was a little slow, but we picked it up during the middle of the game,” wide receiver TJ Bosset said. “The energy from the crowd, it was crazy…They are a great team, but we battled the whole way through. We never gave up, never doubted ourselves.”
The Mustang’s winless drought finally came to an end on the warm first day of the month in September. Head coach Chris Shipe rallied his team for their after game speech, only to find a cool bucket of Gatorade was waiting to be dumped over his head. With a proud smile, Shipe reflected on the remaining 1minutes of the game. “The guys fought, it got a little emotional there for a bit,” Shipe said. “We were down by two scores and I looked at our sideline and our heads were down. I told one of the coaches to go and talk to the players, we have 15 minutes left to play. The guys worked hard in the fourth quarter and we got a victory.”

Behr had an impressive performance going 22 of 39 with 285 yards and two touchdowns. Brooks had six catches for 164 yards with the game-winning touchdown.
The Stangs will travel to Cabrillo Sept. 8 to take on the Seahawks in their first road game. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.