Exercise for academic success

As you face academic assignments, lectures and exams that demand your utmost attention, it’s common to prioritize success in these challenges alongside other responsibilities. However, the foundations upon which your successes depend can present themselves in different ways. Yet, with its strong impact on the brain, exercise stands out as one of the most overlooked factors in achieving academic success.

It may be unsurprising that exercise has been proven to provide numerous benefits to the human body, including decreased risk of heart disease, stroke, type-2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and lower mortality. It is surprising, however, how often the cognitive enhancing and brain health advantages of exercise are overlooked by many, especially by students whose success depends on their ability to learn. 

Unfortunately, as people age, they are less likely to exercise. 

In a 2017 study published in the International Journal of Exercise Science, “233 undergraduate students reported physical activity levels decreased during the transition from high school to college years; 65 percent of students reported engagement in regular vigorous physical activity and 26 percent in regular moderate physical activity during high school. Upon follow-up however, during their college years 38 percent of students participated in regular vigorous activity and 20 percent in moderate physical activity.”

This decline in physical activity can be attributed to several factors. One is the decrease in physical activity as autonomy increases throughout the transition from middle to high school. Given that exercise is often challenging and strenuous, it’s no surprise that some students abandon exercise once it’s no longer mandatory. Moreover, college students may be aware of the benefits of exercise but face greater time demands due to work and school, making it more challenging to incorporate exercise into their daily lives. 

Despite the neglect of exercise by some students, there are reasons why exercise should be a priority for brain health and learning performance.

One transformative influence of exercise is the release of the Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor, a protein involved in the growth, development, and maintenance of neurons in the nervous system. BDNF supports the survival of existing neurons by protecting them from programmed cell death by counteracting causes like neurotoxins and oxidative stress. It also strengthens synaptic connections to dendrites, an important component of neuroplasticity — the brain’s ability to adapt, reorganize, and change throughout life. Out of all forms of exercise, however, aerobic exercise releases the most BDNF.

Exercise may also improve sleep through energy expenditure. This is important as sleep is vital to memory consolidation and learning. 

A common issue college students may face is fatigue. A 2006 analysis by researchers at the University of Georgia found significant evidence that regular exercise can increase energy levels and reduce fatigue. 

According to kinesiology professor Patrick O’Connor, “Sedentary people who completed a regular exercise program reported improved fatigue compared to groups that did not exercise.” 

This improvement is attributed to increased levels of energy-promoting, mood-enhancing neurotransmitters like dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin. Additionally, improved blood flow from exercise can help supply the brain with oxygen and nutrients, enhancing alertness and mitigating “brain fog.”

While these are some of the most crucial effects of exercise on the brain, there are many more. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity exercise for optional health.

Exercise is a transformative activity that should not be limited to college students, but should be embraced by all.