LMC Biology Professor memorial unites campus

Attendees share fond memories
Professor+Jancy+Rickman+looks+at+future+plaque+in+the+LMC+Science+Building+for+late+Jerry+Davis.+
Chijioke Onyeagucha
Professor Jancy Rickman looks at future plaque in the LMC Science Building for late Jerry Davis.

A memorial was held May 8 for the late Professor Jerry Davis, a visionary leader and founding member of the Biology Department at Los Medanos College from its establishment in 1974 to 2019. It was held on the first floor of the science building, a space Davis helped design. Family, students, colleagues and faculty attended this celebration of life and came together to honor the late teacher.

Known for his kind personality, Davis taught at LMC for nearly 50 years. To his students, he was passionate and cared about every one of them as he strove to ensure everyone was enjoying their educational experience. 

Outside of the classroom, Davis was known for his resilient character and professionalism, as well as being an extremely hard worker who would never give up. As a mentor, Davis left an everlasting impact on others, enriching their work lives as a ubiquitous presence in the department. 

The memorial allowed attendees to reflect on the positive influence and legacy Davis left behind. Gathered in a circle, the group provided stories and memories they made knowing the late professor. 

“Jerry modeled pure dedication to the community,” said Mark Lewis. “One of the reasons I was so shocked that he passed was because I thought he couldn’t pass.”  

Lewis describes him as a “renaissance guy” and he was known for always wearing his Hawaiian shirts and touching the hearts of many.

“I’ve met some good people in my life,” said Anatomy Professor Denise Speer adding “Jerry is the best man I’ve ever known.”

More than just an educator, Davis was a positive presence and respected around campus. The memorial also honored his enduring legacy as one of LMC’s early faculty, aiding in shaping the college into what it is today. 

As the memorial came to a close, there was time for attendees to remember their great friend as they enjoyed food and refreshments over shared stories and laughter. 

Davis’ memory will be treasured by all he encountered as a plaque will soon go up in the science building as his labor for the college will never be forgotten.

View Comments (1)