Contra Costa College District Student Trustee selected

Neyazi set to begin in June
Photo courtesy of Halena Neyazi
Elected Student Trustee Halena Neyazi

LMC student Halena Neyazi was elected the 2024-2025 Contra Costa Community College District Student Trustee. The results of the election were announced May 6.

The position is currently filled by DVC student Ivan Hernandez, who is finishing his term as the academic year comes to an end. At the start of June, Neyazi will officially take her seat on the District Governing Board, where she will vote on matters as a representative of the student voice.

Neyazi, an EOPS student ambassador and the President of the Muslim Student Association said her campus involvement has given her experience she believes will benefit her as she steps into the position of trustee.

“I’m listening to [students], I’m hearing them, and I’m seeing what I can do for them, which ties into the trustee because you’re the student’s voice,” she said. “That’s the main key right there. Just communicating with students and listening to how they feel and how we can help them.”

The trustee’s responsibility is to serve as a voice of the three community colleges in the district. Neyazi plans to get the best understanding of what students want by visiting their campuses and connecting with them virtually.

Along with attending the governing board’s monthly meetings, trustees are also responsible for meeting with the presidents of each school’s associated government.

“I will have your basics, a pencil and paper ready to take notes, and having my thoughts in general, ready to see what I want to share with the members and seeing if I can make a change,” Neyazi said.

While she anticipates a busy year ahead, Neyazi is determined to maintain good time management to keep up with her work as a trustee.

“I will get it done with all full effort,” she said. “Whether it be the day before or the week before, I know it will be like the best effort I put in.”

She is passionate about representing the district’s diversity and making the college a better environment for students.

“I’m determined to see where and how I can push myself to my limits,” Neyazi said. “Because like I said, I will always fight for justice no matter what.”