Contra Costa Community College District Student Trustee candidates discuss goals in Q&A

Online voting runs until May 1
2024-2025+Contra+Costa+Community+College+District+Student+Trustee+candidates+Halena+Neyazi%2C+Shwe+Yee+Thinn%2C+and+Armon+Gonzalez+participate+in+Q%26A+held+in+LMCs+Student+Union.+
Angella Dorado
2024-2025 Contra Costa Community College District Student Trustee candidates Halena Neyazi, Shwe Yee Thinn, and Armon Gonzalez participate in Q&A held in LMC’s Student Union.

Before results are announced for the 2024-2025 District Student Trustee Elections, the three LMC candidates discussed their goals and intentions if they are elected. The Q&A session was held April 25 on the second floor of the Student Union.

Halena Neyazi, an ambassador for EOPS and president of the Muslim Student Association, is running because she wants to uplift students and encourage them to work towards their goals. 

Shwe Yee Thinn, the LMCAS commissioner of Publicity and Outreach, is running because she wants to offer support to students and help them get the same opportunities and resources.

Armon Gonzalez, who is the LMCAS commissioner of campus events, explained that his interest in becoming a Trustee comes from his involvement in the student government where he has been a voice for students. 

The candidates discussed their intentions to communicate with students across the Contra Costa Community College District. 

Neyazi explained that she plans to reach out through social media and occasionally visit each campus. Gonzalez also said he intends to visit the campuses and do tabling.

Since many students are active in clubs, Thinn said she intends to reach out to them there and let them know they can ask her for help.

“As a student voice, I will share it back to the school or the district governing boards and I will help figure out what kind of support we can get help with,” Thinn added.

Also, each candidate discussed how they would handle controversial issues that might conflict with their own beliefs, as well as how they would effectively present the student body’s opinion.

“I will listen to both sides and not place any favoritism over anything,” Neyazi said.

If it goes against her personal beliefs, Neyazi will “intend to abstain as we all have the right to abstain from something that you don’t wish to talk upon.”

Thinn said she would examine the issue at hand in an unbiased manner.

“Since I’m representing the district student voices, I will try my best to put those biases and personal opinions aside and think and view every matter as a district student,” Thinn said.

Gonzalez said he would educate himself on the issue, form his own opinion, and then listen to what the students think.

The elected trustee will have to work to provide a monthly report on activities happening at each campus. Candidates were asked how they intend to have this information from each associated government promptly present at the governing board meetings.

Neyazi said she would make sure to contact everyone and even higher officials for the needed information. 

Thinn explained that she would have good time management and talk to each associated government to keep updated about each college. 

Similarly, Gonzalez plans to attend each of the associated government meetings. He explained these reports “are for the students and I believe the students deserve nothing but the best.”

Polls for the 2024-2025 District Student Trustee open April 30 and close May 1 at 5 p.m. To vote, you can visit the LMC website, under LMCAS.