Students are in need of more support

Lack of mental health care

DEAR EDITOR:

I am writing to highlight the need for proper mental health support, a crucial issue that deeply concerns many LMC students. As a concerned individual on matters of health and, in particular, mental health, the institution should prioritize the mental well-being of students by ensuring that they have the services and assistance needed.

Being a student and having to cope with college, life comes with intricate demands. These demands, like the need to excel and pay tuition fees, can bring about academic stressors, financial distress, and personal setbacks, which have direct repercussions on the learners’ mental health. Academic stress can decrease student motivation and result in negative academic achievement. It is vital that LMC extends wholesome provisions with a wide variety of mental health services adjusting to student needs to provide great mental health support for these students.

The enhancement of student mental wellness can be attained through efforts that enable easier access to counseling services. A study conducted in Indonesia indicated that guidance and counseling play a critical role in helping learners experiencing academic stress. Thus, it would be essential for the institution to enhance the existing guidance and counseling department. The creation of the ability to hold both physical, individual, and group counseling sessions by the counselor whenever students need them can give students a chance to air their concerns and experiences and apply effective coping strategies through professional guidance. Additionally, implementing psychosocial counseling and exposure to therapy sessions via telehealth services can be leveraged as a means of tailoring to students’ diverse schedules and tastes. Implementing these strategies or improving what exists to make them effective can provide avenues to enhance student wellness, which is vital for performance. 

Therefore, I request you create awareness of the need to enhance mental wellness among the students and call the institution to establish the highlighted critical strategies to deal with this issue.

— Evelyn Arriaga Duran