Pajama Plushy Day brings among nostalgia

Students given opportunity to de-stress
Jordan Suisala
Overlook of the second floor of the student union during the Pajama Plushy Day event.

Heading into finals week, LMC’s Student Life hosted Pajama Plushy Day Nov. 28 as a part of De-stress Week. Students were encouraged to come to school in their pajamas and to bring a plushie friend. This gave students the opportunity to relax and relieve a sense of nostalgia with a showing of Disney’s “Monsters, Inc.” and offered a variety of snacks in the Student Union. 

After stressful experiences with schoolwork, finals and all-nighters, co-host Edgar Sanchez said he wanted to offer students a healthy outlet on campus.  

“I want to give students a safe space where they can come get a donut, drink coffee and watch a movie,” said Sanchez. “My goal was to help give [students] a space where they can de-stress.” 

Student Honeymiel Montecillo said his goal worked.

“It’s a way to relieve stress before the finals,” said Montecillo. “It cut off some of the tension.”

The balloons that decorated the upstairs room brought a sense of child-like innocence. Co-host Ashley Villasenor described her motivation centered around giving students “a chance to forget about schoolwork and brings them back to being a kid,” said Villasenor. 

However, forgetting about schoolwork was not an option for Tre’nah Currie. 

“When you go to stuff like this you want to be able to do work,” said Currie. “I’m not doing work. It’s more like I’m chilling at school with my friends.” 

Nevertheless, other students found hanging out to be a fun way to forget about their workload. 

“It’s fun to hang out and watch some movies with friends,” said Adrian Gobez, who was seated in a group. 

While many students came and went during the duration of the event, the movie captured many roamers’ attention. Some found themselves suddenly seated, and others stood for a little bit unable to resist the nostalgia “Monsters, Inc.” brought. 

“The movie was a good choice because our generation grew up with movies like ‘Monsters, Inc.’,” said Joshua Womack, a student who couldn’t resist watching. “And so, it brings back really great memories and a lot of nostalgia.” 

Pajama Plushy Day came to a close once the credits rolled. While the event was seemingly successful, Sanchez believes there is always room for improvement.

“There’s some things we could have done better,” said Sanchez. “I wanted to plan it later in the evening but that wasn’t possible. Other than that, I think it went pretty well.”