New seal selected for Los Medanos College

Student drawn design picked for 50th anniversary
Student drawn seal that was selected for LMC’s 50th anniversary

A new College Seal has been selected for Los Medanos College’s 50th anniversary. This is the first official seal for the college since its opening. 

“Official seals represent the college in a more official capacity so unlike a logo that might change with trends and time, the official seal is supposed to have much more staying power,” said Juliet Casey, Director of Marketing and Media Design. 

The task of designing the seal went to three student interns working with the marketing team.

Casey described the extensive process that went into creating potential designs noting that students had produced anywhere between four to six designs each. 

“They were just phenomenal in the work and preparation that they did on their own time to really bring a graphic design that they felt reflected not only our history but our values and place within Contra Costa County,” Casey said. 

Six drafts of seal variations were taken and presented to the President’s cabinet for feedback. Then they were presented to LMCAS, Faculty Senate, Classified Senate, and the President’s Council for any comments as well as the selection of their two favorite designs. 

At the April 1 college assembly, there was a vote taken from the top two options where student intern Emma Rivera’s main design was selected. 

The new seal carries a sense of our beautiful location, our important role as higher education in East Contra Costa County, and our history in both Pittsburg and Brentwood,” President Pamela Ralston said.

Rivera describes having a mix of emotions when she found out her main design had been chosen. 

“It was a very surreal moment, knowing that my artwork would be forever associated with the institution and recognized by everyone who sees it,” Rivera said. 

Rivera noted there were challenges when creating a design that best represented LMC as an institution. 

“My specific challenges during the design process [were] finding a balance between incorporating the traditional elements of the college’s identity and creating a visually appealing design,” Rivera said. 

She remarked how it felt to participate in the project of designing the seal. 

“[It] provide[d] me with a unique opportunity to gain invaluable real-world experience such as interacting with clients, working on deadlines, and submitting a final design that would be shown to the public,” Rivera said. 

Rivera reflected on her gratitude for being a part of the marketing team.

“Having a hand in designing a seal that represents LMC and being a part of the marketing team has been a wonderful experience for me,” Rivera said.