LMC Brentwood campus reopens

Temporary fix for the chiller has been installed

College officials have announced the chiller that failed Tuesday, Aug. 29 will not be fully repaired until several months out. 

The ongoing chip shortage around the globe has caused the college to bring aboard a temporary chiller that was installed over the Labor Day weekend while the search for parts to fix the permanent chiller continues, said Los Medanos College President Pamela Ralston.

“The College has rented a temporary chiller, which was installed over Labor Day weekend to provide air conditioning while we wait for replacement parts for the permanent system to be manufactured, delivered and installed,” said Ralston.

On Tuesday, Sept. 5 the Brentwood Center reopened for normal business when the auxiliary chiller was up and running to keep the center air conditioned. 

LMC is currently awaiting any information from the manufacturer of the chiller for any updates on a timeframe they could give to the college. 

“We are working with the chiller manufacturer on getting the replacement drives and also waiting for an estimated timeframe on the wait,” said Director of Maintenance and Operations Michael Schenone.

Vice President of Business and Administrative Services Carlos Montoya estimates it will take around four months for parts to arrive with there being a likelihood the parts become available sometime later this year. 

“Due to the microchip shortage, electrical components like this are being made as parts become available and we are currently on the waiting list. There is an expectation that these parts will be available late sometime this year,” said Schenone. 

However, Ralston believes it will be even longer after the parts arrive until the permanent air conditioning unit is back to normal.

“It will be several months before the permanent system is repaired and functional,” said Ralston.

The chiller with the air conditioning has two electronic drives to help run if one fails, however, both failed at the same time due to electronic failures with the drives. 

The air conditioner failure was noticed around 11 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 29. Classes were canceled for the rest of that week as some classrooms reached temperatures in the mid-80s, according to Montoya.