A trot to success

This semester’s Mustang Roundup was held on August 21 on the Pittsburg campus at Los Medanos College. Serving as a warm welcome to new and returning students, this semester’s Mustang Roundup attracted all types of students to the center campus. It is here where students get the chance to enjoy the festivities and get introduced to LMC possibly for the first time. 

Lining the main walkway through campus were various booths and stands. Some booths advertised local clubs here at LMC such as Puente, Umoja and LMCAS among many more. Others stood to spread awareness about current events and issues within the community. 

While students went from booth to booth learning about the many clubs, various snacks were handed out, such as popcorn and cotton candy to those interested. Outside of the Student Union, members of the faculty and LMCAS handed out pizza to those with their student IDs. Just behind the pizza table was an inflatable obstacle course that students could run along with their peers or friends.

All put together, it made for a bright atmosphere that students seemed to enjoy. LMC’s Dean of Student Success, Dave Belman, thought that this year’s Roundup was a success. 

“This year is so much more bus-like compared to last Fall on campus and previous years,” said Belman, “Coming back from COVID it was a little bit slow for a while, but you really feel the energy on campus now.”

Similar remarks were given by Armon Gonzalez, LMCAS Commissioner of Campus Events. Gonzalez has participated in Mustang Roundup before and he has served as a mediary between all the booths, making sure everything runs smoothly.

“I have a cousin that just enrolled this semester and she’s been having a good time so far. She’s really been enjoying [the Roundup],” said Gonzales, “I had a slow start to the day, but like I said once it gets going you can really start feeling it. It’s been going.”

Reactions from students seemed to show how much they were enjoying the festivities. Chase Lowell, an LMC student thought, “the atmosphere was nice.” 

“I can confidently say that this is the biggest [Mustang Roundup]. This is certainly the most tents I’ve seen,” said Lowell. 

Another student helper, Ray Gomez, said, “It looked like a lot of people enjoyed [the events].” 

Overall, it appeared as though students were enjoying their time and Gomez would agree. 

“It was very interactive and a lot of people came,” said Gomez, “I guess a lot of people liked the pizza as well because a lot of people came around to get some. It was good and the positives outweigh any negatives in my opinion. It was a good roundup.”