‘Love and Information’ play opens at LMC

The show will run until April 6

A kaleidoscope of human experiences will be captured on stage as the Los Medanos College Drama Department puts on “Love and Information,” written by Caryl Churchill and directed by Gregory Brown. This dramatic comedy opens on March 28 in the Little Theater on the Pittsburg Campus and will run for two weeks.  

The production is “different from other plays,” according to actor Jayden Hawkins, as the script does not have set characters but is solely dialogue. Instead, the Drama Department had the creative liberty of constructing their own stories, unique to any rendition of the play done prior. 

“We don’t know their names, where it is taking place, and any relationships that characters have, said Hawkins, adding, “We married it up all on our own.”

Director Brown noted that “scenes frequently begin in the middle of already begun conversations, bubbling to life, and then fading into silence, or ending in the middle of sentences forever unfinished.” 

Preparations for the show began only a couple of weeks ago, and Stage Manager Zoe Lewis describes it as a “stressful process, but was worth it in the end.” Despite production being pushed back a week due to finalizing costumes and technology, Lewis is looking forward to opening night.

I get to run the whole show as well as the lights, and I love getting that proud feeling come showtime when I get to see the actors shine and show off everything we worked so hard for,” said Lewis.

Actor Abel Fernandez shared his favorite part of the production was being able to “create scenes with everyone,” while adding, “It was a fun process overall, and being with everyone made it more enjoyable.”

The cast focused on creating a special experience for viewers, but by playing many characters at once and memorizing nearly 40 scenes, experimentation was expected. 

“I had the opportunity to try different styles and designs of clothing,” said Hawkins. “For me, I dress [in] more masculine things and with this play, I wear more feminine clothing. So it’s cool how I can be outside of my comfort zone.” 

Opening night was March 28 at 7 p.m. but there is still time to see the show as it will run for another week. Tickets can be purchased online under the Drama “Now Playing” tab on the LMC website or at the door on the day of a show if seats are available. General admission prices begin at $15, students and service members at $12 and students with high school and middle school IDs at $10. 

Upcoming show dates and times will be listed below. 

• Thursday, March 28 at 7 p.m. 
  • Friday, March 29 at 7 p.m. 
  • Saturday, March 30 at 7 p.m. 
  • Thursday, April 4 at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. 
  • Friday, April 5 at 7 p.m. 
  • Saturday, April 6 at 7 p.m.