Chancellor search halted until fall

Spencer Cameron, Staff Writer

The search for the next chancellor of the Contra Costa Community College District has once again come to a halt.

During a meeting held April 9, the district governing board approved delaying the search for a permanent chancellor until the fall 2020 semester. The impact of the Coronavirus causing the district to transition to remote classes and student services is the cause for the delay.

“This was a very difficult decision to make, but we feel it is in the best interest of our students and the district that we pause this search and continue to focus on the remote delivery  of instruction and student services,” said Governing Board President Rebecca Barrett.

Due to the COVID-19 virus and the disturbance it is causing within the district, and the country, the Governing Board thought it was best to pause the hiring search.

“The selection of the permanent chancellor is one of the most important responsibilities of the Governing Board, and given our current environment of shelter-in-place and social distancing, we did not feel we could complete the selection process in a manner that would be acceptable for the district and our community,” said Barrett.

With assistance from Collaborative Brain Trust and Dr. Brice Harris, applicants were contacted and agreed to remain in the selection pool.

The new timeline for the interviewing and selection process will begin September 2020, with a start date for the selected candidate set for January 4, 2021.

“The Governing Board is comfortable making this decision because of the District’s steady leadership during the COVID-19 crisis,” said Barrett. “We want to thank Interim Chancellor Huff for maintaining our organizational stability through this tough time.”

The Governing Board appointed Eugene Huff as Interim Chancellor  January 22, 2020 with a contract ending December 31, or until a permanent Chancellor is selected.

For more details about this search, contact Dr. Brice Harris at [email protected] or call (916) 715-7272. Progress reports and updates will be posted on the district website at www.4cd.edu.

Stay tuned in with the LMC Experience as updates continue to occur regarding the search for a new district chancellor.