Applicants prepare for upcoming Contra Costa district student trustee election

Get to know the candidates

As the District Student Trustee Election draws closer, students Armon Gonzalez and Abigail Thinn, shared the reasons behind their run for office during an informational session held March 26.

LMCAS Commissioner of Campus Events Gonzalez spoke on his passion for being involved on campus and his desire to reach students districtwide.

“I have enjoyed my time here and I have enjoyed my positions and the role I’ve taken; as well as being able to talk with students and see their perspectives and what they would like to see, or what they’ve felt coming here. I think I’d like to expand that to more than just LMC,” Gonzalez said.

LMCAS Commissioner of Publicity and Outreach Thinn is interested in supporting the diverse body of students across the district.

“I can see students sometimes struggling to receive any sort of support in their food and basic needs,” said Thinn. “As a student trustee, I would like to see what is lacking and supporting the systems students want.”

Two information sessions were held on March 26 and 27 on the second floor of the Student Union building and served as an opportunity to learn more about the elected position and hear about the experiences of current Student Trustee Ivan Hernandez.

It featured a thorough look into the voting process and all the requirements needed before submitting the application due March 29. Once it’s clear how many candidates have applied, the election will proceed on schedule. If there are more than three applicants, a runoff election will occur to narrow the selection.

In addition to basic information, a Q&A session with Hernandez highlighted his insights in preparing applicants for the role, as he highlighted the expectations, benefits and challenges of the position.

Hernandez spoke of an annual conference he attended at Palm Springs where he was able to network with other chancellors, trustees and college presidents. “You get to know people who will be able to change your life,” he said.

One of the most important elements covered in the meeting was the need to work well with students and staff; to learn how to listen to their concerns and without the intention of speaking back. As the seat will be filled by an LMC student, they must find ways to connect with students all over the district.

Hernandez goes over how life-changing the position has been for him, including a trip to Washington D.C. for an opportunity to speak with legislators. He emphasizes the positive impact the district has had state-wide.

He also tells students to prepare for monthly meetings, a willingness to learn and adjust, and stresses the need for a professional public presence.

“You are an elected official, meaning that everything about you is pretty much public,” said Hernandez. “You want to be in the newspaper, but for the good things.”

The student trustee will be elected by students districtwide. There will be a district-wide candidate Q&A on April 25 on the second floor of the Student Union, including a Zoom link. The election will run from April 30 to May 1, with results being determined on May 6; the winner will be announced at the Governing Board meeting on May 8.

Officially, the new student trustee will take their seat on June 1.