Revised Master Plan draft reveals possible changes to LMC

Draft collects community feedback to decide future
Option 2 details drafted construction plans for new buildings, indicated in dark blue. Graphic courtesy of the Steinberg Hart company.

The recent draft of the Facilities Master Plan was addressed during the College Assembly held this past Monday to discuss extensive changes to the Pittsburg campus and improvements to the Brentwood Center. During the meeting, participants shared feedback on the draft which will be finalized in the coming weeks.

A presentation by Vice President of Business and Administrative Services Carlos Montoya and Steinberg Hart Director of Campus Planning Nicole Friend revealed the 30-year vision of the campus. Illustrations highlighted the decisions and feedback that went into revising the current draft.

Montoya and Friend discussed hurdles to be addressed, such as securing funding for renovations and ensuring that construction is not disruptive to campus life.

Two major construction options were proposed for the Pittsburg campus. Option 1 primarily deals with extensive renovations to the existing College Complex, and Option 2 focuses on a redefined campus landscape and Guided Pathways.

Option 2 was chosen because of its practicality and “forward-thinking” approach. It is also less expensive, with estimated construction costs of around $514 million, as opposed to Option 1’s $517 million.

“It does allow for new buildings on campus that are designed to meet the evolving needs, and foster student success,” Friend said. “It redefines the campus itself, but it does this in a way that emphasizes community. Most importantly, it continues with LMC’s commitment to excellence.

The remainder of the presentation outlined projects planned within the first 10 years of construction. During this first phase, LMC will see dramatic changes to the Child Study Center, lab buildings, administrative and maintenance areas, and various circulation and site improvements.

The relocation of the Child Study Center is a priority. Plans will place a new center at the front of campus near Parking Lot A and East Leland Rd. The Facilities Master Plan Draft cites the center’s current maintenance issues, safety concerns and suboptimal location as the reason for this change. The current CSC will then be converted to a Welcome Center.

Near Parking Lot A will be a new Health Sciences building, which includes Nursing and EMT programs. Placement on the north side of campus will create synergy with the Science and Child Study programs alongside Guided Pathways.

An Interdisciplinary Lab Building will contain Art and CTE spaces near the new Welcome Center.

This will be the “centerpiece of the campus, boasting state-of-the-art laboratories and studios tailored to the requirements of CTE programs, Auto, Welding, Art and maker spaces.”

There are plans to alter the road behind campus to form a completed loop, increasing connectivity, movement and pedestrian circulation.

The goal is to emphasize a bright atmosphere with spaces for recreation, events, showcases and memorials.

While there has been a lot of excitement regarding the plan, some have raised concerns.

Math Professor Julie Von Bergen spoke on the impracticality of placing a lab so far away from the rest of campus and potential academic disruptions from noisy areas.

“The quad is a loud space on campus, and the noise from the quad could interrupt classroom learning. In the Math Lab, the music noise from the quad is often too loud and interrupts learning,” said Von Bergen. “How are students going to take quizzes and exams with music and noise from the quad?”

Child Study Center Director Angela Fantuzzi expressed that while she was initially excited to see the CSC updated and rebuilt, she was concerned with the placement of the center near such a busy road.

“When I asked, they said they would create a loop for the dropping and drop-off of children that would be safe and not into Leland. But that doesn’t mean that there couldn’t be a car crash that ends up in the playground or the building, because it’s a major road and cars do go fast,” Fantuzzi said.

But even with assurances of proper security measures, Fantuzzi is prepared for some unpredictability.

“It doesn’t happen often or anything like that, but what if a kid gets upset and runs into the street?” she asked.

As an alternate location, Fantuzzi suggested somewhere closer to campus, or Police Services in the event of an emergency.

When she brought up her worries, Fantuzzi was told that the location of the CSC would be reevaluated due to safety concerns.

The meeting addressed a few major changes, but a more detailed breakdown is outlined in the Facilities Master Plan Draft.

It can be accessed on the LMC website through the Facilities Planning section. Alongside the draft, there is a QRCode for the Master Plan 2024 Feedback Form, which is open to students and staff.

A second read of the draft with LMCAS, the Academic Senate and the Classified Senate will be held April 22.