Los Medanos College celebrates a legacy to unite the community

Colin Wainwright
Student and award recipient Daniel Farley shares impact resources have had on his educational journey.

The Student Union Conference Center was packed on Feb. 29 as Los Medanos College conducted its annual luncheon in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The event consisted of an awards ceremony to recognize individuals whose achievements embodied fairness and justice.

As guests gathered their food and found seats, the sound of beating drums filled the room. It was a musical performance by Brothas of the Drum, led by Terence Elliott. The buzz of excitement in the air was palpable.

At the door, guests were directed to sign in and help themselves to lunch provided by Black-owned businesses: barbecue chicken, green beans, macaroni and cheese, and yams, along with water and lemonade iced tea. Desserts were banana pudding and peach cobbler cupcakes.

Tables and walls were decorated with artwork and displays of Dr. King, courtesy of 5th graders at Foothill Elementary and their teacher, Monika Garcia.

Once seated, guests were given a warm welcome by LMC President Pamela Ralston, who prepared a heartfelt speech for the award ceremony.

“We pay tribute to our honorees whose work and voices ensure that important spaces are free of injustice and are insistent on inclusion and equity,” Ralston said. “At Los Medanos College, we have embraced this work and we are committed to walking the path to justice. Not just during Black History Month, but all year long.”

She emphasized the importance of celebrating achievement and unity in a world where racism persists.

Thereafter, everyone was prompted to stand for The Black National Anthem, “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” More participants were invited to the podium to speak in celebration of Dr. King’s message and the work being done at the college to ensure Black students are supported and uplifted through their educational journey.

The Emerging Leadership Awards were presented by EOPS Program Coordinator Andrew Murphy to LMC student Daniel Farley and alumna Chiamaka Oha, whose award was accepted on her behalf by her father.

Shortly after, LMC Foundation Interim Manager Leetha Robertson spoke on the crucial role scholarships play in supporting Black students and programs.

“Our Black faculty and staff have assembled, and have been working diligently to raise funds in support of programs and scholarships for those students,” said Robertson. “We hope that you will consider us when it’s your time to do your year-end giving, your contributions throughout the year — that you will think of us at LMC.”

Pittsburg High School students Jaqui Prado and Juwel Lawson were allowed to share their poetry tributes to Dr. King and were received with thunderous applause.

Afterward, LMC Interim Vice President A’kilah Moore presented the Beloved Community Award to Willie Mims, an East County NAACP executive committee member.

Once at the podium, Moore shared appreciation for the organizers, audience, and the work of Dr. King. He spoke of Black history and its long-standing roots. He shared his experience learning this immense history; and how it contrasted with the negative depictions of Black people he was exposed to during his youth.

Next, guest speaker Clyde Henry Lewis Jr. gave a speech with the theme “The Future is Ours,” focusing on LMC’s efforts to empower Black students through opportunities and quality education in East County, and its relation to the aspirations of Dr. King.

Following this, beloved District 5 Supervisor & Chair Federal D. Glover was presented with the Visionary Leadership Award. Glover served on the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors since 2000, and throughout his career before and after his election, Glover’s life has been dedicated to enriching the lives of the community.

“When that first was stated — The Visionary Award — I thought of Dr. King’s dream,” Glover said. “Because as we know, it’s about a dream that drives a vision, and the work that goes behind that to make it a reality.”

In closing, LMC Vice President of Student Services Tanisha Maxwell gave a speech discussing the college’s commitment to social justice and equity.

The event was arranged to celebrate and recognize the past and current Black excellence at LMC, to raise funds to support Black students, and to foster relationships with the greater Black community in Contra Costa County.

“This is only the beginning, and we can’t wait to see what the future holds as we continue to build that together with our community,” said Maxwell.

There were over 120 guests from the community and a diverse selection of backgrounds — faculty, staff, event organizers, students, community members, and politicians, including Pittsburg City Council Member Shanelle Scales-Preston — all joined together to honor Dr. King’s legacy.