Registration ends Oct. 22

Department of Motor Vehicles, post offices, churches, Veteran of Foreign War halls, and other government buildings across the nation will be alive with activity on Nov. 6. People of all races, faiths and ages will flock to these meeting places armed with pens, voter guides and aspirations for their communities and their country.

They will vote on propositions, measures and who they want to be the next president of the United States. The people will exercise their constitutional right to vote on Nov. 6. Their voices will be heard.

With the Oct. 22 deadline for voter registration looming around the corner, Los Medanos College, with the help of Student Life, has made registering for the historical upcoming election easier than ever, so that every student who is not registered to vote can have the opportunity to register and have their voices heard come election day.

“If you really want a say, if you really want to make a difference, you got to vote,” said Student Trustee Debora van Eckhardt. “And not just to vote, but to really know what you are voting for.”

To bring the voting registration and information to the student body, Student Life has been holding Rock the Vote daily in the outside quad from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Students will be able to fill out voter registration forms and pick up easy voter guides. After students fill out their voter registration forms, Student Life will then mail the forms for the student.

“It’s really nice if I can get even one or two people to fill out a form,” said Student Ambassador Dylan Kuhlmann who is the front man for the Rock the Vote. “People aren’t all that involved, and the more you invest in your community, the more you’ll do to help it.”

Rachel Kidwell, who is voting in her first Presidential Election this year, shares Kuhlmann’s excitement about being involved in the voting process.

“I think it’s important for young people to register and vote because it’s our American right to voice our opinion, and we need to do our part as civil servants,” Kidwell said passionately. “I’m extremely excited. Obama is my boy.”
American Humanities Professor Ken Alexander said that when he votes, he’s fulfilling his job as an American citizen.
“I get a sense of satisfaction,” said Alexander. “I feel that I’ve done my job.”

Students who have missed the Rock the Vote event can find voter registration forms in the Mustangs Corner Bookstore, the LMC Library, the informational desk located next door to the cafeteria and at the UMOJA building. Voter registration forms can also be picked up at the post office and DMV, or students can register online at www.sos.ca.gov/elections.
While faculty and staff cannot tell students who to vote for during working hours, or if they should vote yes or no on a measure or proposition, they can encourage students to register and cast their vote, and their voice.

“People mouth off all the time,” said Alexander. “But they aren’t willing to participate in it. The two basic duties in this country are to serve on juries and vote. Shut up; do it.”