Muslim Student Association hosts guest speaker on finding peace

Students come to learn with Afraz Khan
Halena Neyazi speaking to attended students in the Library conference room on Tuesday, Feb 27.

Los Medanos College’s Muslim Student Association hosted their first ever event of the semester with guest speaker, Afraz Khan. It was an open invitation to all students willing to learn, and enjoy food and goodie bags at the Library Conference Center, Feb 27.

The event began with students being greeted with a goodie bag and whether they were female or male, they sat on one side of the room. 

Khan, a community organizer and alumni from the University of California Berkeley, soon spoke on the pathway to finding peace. He goes on to describe how it can be easy to slip under despair and give into your weaknesses, however there are many ways to retain your sanity, therefore your faith.

“Our faith retains and focuses on the prophecy of the following forward,” said Khan.

He explains that one of the key steps to keep forward is to have the willingness to self-acknowledge. To seek forgiveness and have the capacity to forgive is how you can get closer to finding peace.

“We may not be ready to fully let go [of hatred],” said Khan. “But even for the sake of God, just let it go.”

He went on to speak about how keeping consistency and setting your priorities is one of the most important ways to not only elevate knowledge but to be closer to Allah. Even incorporating hobbies, such as journaling can be a great improvement to daily routines. To make rest and sleep a priority is a key way to build momentum in a consistent routine.

“Keep consistency so you won’t fall into despair,” said Khan. “Take these small moments of consistency and build the sanctity of Allah.”

When he concluded his speech, he led a prayer with MSA and other attendants. Afterwards, the club finished off the event with catered food from Falafel Corner.

MSA member Muskaan Abdeel said that she enjoyed this event, especially the lecture in spite of not hearing Khan before. She would always gain a lot of wisdom from these lectures, and liked that he would speak both Arabic and English.

MSA President Halena Neyazi had heard of Khan from her sister who also attended Berkeley and after doing research on his works, she reached out to him. Once he confirmed to come and speak, it was all a matter of planning for the club.

They had been planning an event like this since Fall of 2023, but everything started to take place in late Jan. This had gone over Neyazi’s expectations as she originally wasn’t anticipating many people to RSVP to the event, but over 50 people had signed up to attend.

Neyazi said she was most excited for Khan’s talk, as she knew, “it would be beneficial for those that joined us.”

MSA had hosted a fun and enlightening space for their community and those who were open to learn more, while it lasted between 3:30 p.m. and 5 p.m.