Smash Bros. tournament brings gamers together

Students immersed in a fun, competitive environment
Mohammad Najimi
Gabriel Perez Cano and Gino face off in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in the first round of the tournament while onlookers root for both players.

A Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament was held on Nov. 21 and was hosted by the President of the Games Club, Gabriel Perez Cano, and it was a fun event for everyone involved.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a crossover fighting game developed by Bandai Namco Studios and Sora Limited and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch.

A total of 13 LMC students participated in the tournament with 4 rounds of gameplay. Everyone had a great time playing and some found new friends as well.

The first round consisted of five games that went on a best-of-three with none of them reaching the third decisive game. Things got competitive in the fourth game between Taz and Edgar. Neither knew how to play, but they both had a fun time facing each other. Taz played Bowser in both games while Edgar played Dark Samus in the first game and Link in the second game.

The second round consisted of four best-of-three games that had three new faces playing due to the number of total participants. This round had one game going to the third decisive game and turned out to be the most competitive between Spencer and Ray Riss. Spencer played as Ryu in the first game, Incineroar in the second game and Donkey Kong in the final game. Meanwhile, Ray played as King Dedede in the first game, Pichu in the second game and Terry in the final game.

The third round, or the semi-finals, consisted of two matches, one of them a best-of-three and the other a best-of-five, with the most competitive being the best-of-three between Will Taylor and Komari. During the competitive match, Taylor played as Donkey Kong in the first game, Toon Link in the second game and Sephiroth in the third game while Komari played as Pac-Man in the first two games and Bowser Jr. in the third game.

The fourth round, or the finals, consisted of a best-of-five match between Taylor and Riss for the first-place bragging rights award for the entire tournament. Taylor played Dark Samus in the first and third game, Mewtwo in the second game and Sephiroth in the final game while Riss played Sora in the first game, Hero in the second game, Joker in the third game and Sephiroth in the final game.

The winner of the entire tournament was Taylor as he won the finals in four games over Riss.

“Easy. I need more competition next time,” said Taylor after winning the tournament.

The students viewing the tournament all had an incredible time watching the participants fight it out in the video game. Loud cheers were heard all throughout the tournament.

When asked about the next tournament, Cano said “Maybe next semester or next year.”