LMC hires new Athletic Director

Storti commits to student-athlete success
Marty+Storti
Marty Storti

After searching all summer long to find a successor to former Athletic Director Richard Villegas, Los Medanos College has hired Marty Storti to fill the vacancy. 

“I’ve known a few people that have worked here and they have described the culture in a very positive light, and I wanted to be a part of it,” Storti said on being hired at LMC.

Storti comes to LMC after having spent over 20 years at St. Mary’s College. While there, he spent time as an athlete; playing football, baseball and rugby. After his time as a student athlete, Storti transitioned into a coach and administration role. 

Under Storti’s leadership, Saint Mary’s sports teams began to receive success on a national scale. In 2011, the men’s soccer team reached the elite 8 of the NCAA tournament. The college’s rugby team also began to take off and took home four consecutive national championships from 2014 through 2017. 

“I had some great experiences and great memories of Saint Mary’s,” Storti said. 

However, Storti explained that during his time at Saint Mary’s he did more than just help student-athletes win games on the field. He explained that he made sure his students took up any financial aid opportunities that were given, specifically one student who had to redo their FAFSA form after having their mother pass away that same year.  

“We worked with the financial aid office and they found out to redo the FAFSA to use the current system, and that dramatically changed everything,” Storti said. 

One of Storti’s goals is to improve the athletic programs communications as a way to help bring more attention to the student-athletes and the overall athletics program saying, “We need to bridge the gap for communication.” 

Storti said, “Student athletes love looking on the website and seeing pictures of themselves or stories about their team.” He continued and said, “We need to make sure that we brand LMC athletics in an appealing way.” 

Overall, in his first two weeks as Athletic Director, Storti is looking for ways to make things more efficient and improve. 

“I have to come up with solutions and identify systems and figure out how I can make them more efficient and effective,” Storti said. 

Storti wants to make it one of his top priorities to do anything he can do to help student-athletes in his program succeed and move on to the next level. 

“I’ve done that my whole career. It’s the most rewarding part of any job I’ve ever had,” Storti said.