Lifelong Learning program arrives at LMC

New lectures dedicated to student education

The ability to learn something new is not solely confined to the four walls of a classroom. Instead, opportunities to learn a variety of topics are now accessible to members inside and outside of the Los Medanos College community with the new Lifelong Learning Program. 

The first lectures that members of the Contra Costa community could attend from LMC professors date back to 2018. However, a spearheaded effort by the part-time coordinator of the Community & Contract Education program, Dave Wahl, lectures are now spread throughout the coming months.

We view the program as one more way that we are serving the East Contra Costa community in addition to our role as an academic and workforce development institution,” said Wahl. 

For the fall semester, 17 lectures covering a variety of topics will be presented at LMC, primarily on the Brentwood Campus. 

“There is also a good deal of social interaction when gathering with those with similar interests such as art, politics, history or religion,” said Wahl. 

This program has been designed to bring lectures, around 2 hours in length, to members of the community “seeking continuing education and enrichment beyond the college’s catalog,” according to President Pamela Ralston. 

Inspired by programs featured at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute found at public institutions nationwide, these lectures are taught by professors who are experts in their field. 

“This is an opportunity to have a lecture-style format where you’re engaged, learning new things while coming, without necessarily doing stuff that helps you transfer to another institution,” said Ralston. “You don’t need to do homework. You don’t need to do tests, but you’re continuing to be engaged in the learning process.” 

If interested in attending an upcoming session, please visit the LMC website. Register beforehand by visiting this link and each session costs $19.