“The Marvels” falls short with plot

Vellani only bright spot in film
Ms. Marvel, portrayed by Iman Vellani, terrified of what the cat conjured up.

The latest entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, “The Marvels” released into theaters Nov. 14 and plot-wise, it isn’t too great. Picking back up with Captain Marvel, played by Brie Larson, the film tries to build off of previous entries into the universe and connect characters together for future installments. Yet, Captain Marvel isn’t the “Marvel” tasked to save the universe in this film.

The plot of the film seems to just happen and little events are explained further, or at all at times. We’re sort of just thrown into the beginning of the film and picking back up with Captain Marvel’s travels in the deep reaches of space. While doing a favor from Nick Fury, played by Samuel L. Jackson, we are presented with the major plot point that plays a role throughout the film. 

By some coincidence, Carol touches an unstable jump point at the same time as her niece; a superpowered astronaut named Monica Rambo. This causes Carol to enter a triangle of entangled powers with Iman Vellani’s Ms. Marvel and her niece, played by Teyonah Parris. They discover quite quickly that using their powers at the same time forces them to swap places. 

After an interesting fight scene and a near freak mishap, the three come together and set out to stop the culprit behind the unstable jump point, the leader of The Kree named Dar-Benn. Throughout the film we are given good visuals and great fight scenes, but what holds this film back is the plot and chemistry between the three main characters. The plot seems to pick up out of nowhere and the events of the film don’t flow the best together. On top of this, Ms. Marvel feels like the only stand out role in the main trio. 

Vellani plays her role of an overly-excited teenage superhero really well and she shows that through her interactions with her idol, Carol Danvers. On top of this, her overall performance remained one of the best throughout the film. In fact, her interactions with Carol remain as some of the few notable ones as the chemistry between the three feels synthetic, like we are supposed to see these three team up. 

Instead, their team up is forced upon them by a plot device that was only loosely explained once in the beginning of the film. This plot device does play a role and at most serves as a novelty to set up cool fight sequences and some tricky scenarios. To make things even better, this light-based power entanglement seemingly goes away as the final battle nears the end with almost no explanation. 

Overall, “The Marvels” is an okay superhero movie that falls short of the mark because of a plot that felt like it was thrown together. The visuals and acting by a few notable actors does save this movie from total ruin, but it isn’t enough to redeem this film. I would still recommend it if you are looking for superhero action with a hint of slapstick here and there, and if you’re a cat fan.