KAPWA club enjoys eye-opening musical in city

Filipino culture spread through Larry the Musical
Elizabeth Maria Jacobo
“Larry The Musical” performed at Brave Theater in San Francisco.

“I think that the overall message is to spread awareness of Filipino culture. I feel like American Filipinos are underrepresented,” said Ethan Balamiento, a Los Medanos College student who attended the “Larry the Musical” in San Francisco, alongside his club members from the KAPWA club. The play, shown at the Brava Theater, highlights Larry Itliong’s journey as an influential labor leader. The show made its debut March 23rd and ran through April 14th. 

As students from LMC arrived, they entered the crowded theater to find a book for sale titled “Journey for Justice: The Life of Larry Itliong ” by author Dawn. B Malabon and Gayle Romasanta with illustrations by Andre Sibyan. 

Itliong’s story follows his protest with other Filipino American farm workers who started the 1965 Great Delano Grape Strike that began Sep. 8, 1965. More than 2,000 Filipino-Americans refused to work in the grape fields due to poor wages: 35 cents per hour. 

But Itliong’s story begins much earlier. In the 1930s, he organized agricultural workers to join him in the protest that rose to prominence in 1965. Young Larry speaks of his dream, during the play’s opening sequences. He wants to be a voice for his people struggling through hard times, and more than just a farmer, or an ordinary son.

“During the start, I got emotional,” said LMC student Joaquin Sagan. “I just left the Philippines to move here. I relate to Larry.” 

The play tracks Larry’s journey, as he leaves his home and girlfriend and sets sail for 22 days at sea before arriving in the United States and encountering the terrible living conditions farm workers faced: poor housing, a lack of water, and discrimination. 

As Larry says in the play, “We came for a better life, no one can say we didn’t try.” 

One of the acts resonated with KAPWA club advisor, Abbey Duldulao. 

“It’s a struggle of the brown skin and it still is,” said Duldulao.  “It’s not just for the Filipinos, it’s also for the Mexicans. It’s been living with us and is still in our hearts.”

Students found the field trip to be an amazing experience and enjoyed being in the presence of talented people who wanted to spread Itliong’s message. 

“I was at a loss of words,” said LMC student Patrick Garcia after the show. “If I had to choose one word to describe the musical, I would choose inspiring.”