“Spy Kids:” children’s voices matter

Action film was an action-packed rollercoaster
A family of spies attempts to escape from an evil lair.

“Spy Kids: Armageddon,” a family-flick directed by the talented Robert Rodriguez who also co-wrote the script with his son Racer Max, is a rollercoaster of action-packed sequences and hilarious moments. The PG-rated adventure and comedy film is a collaborative production effort from Skydance Media, Spyglass Media Group and Troublemaker Studios, and is available exclusively on Netflix.

The film features an ensemble cast with Gina Rodriguez and Zachary Levi portraying the quirky yet lovable parents, Nora Torrez and Terrence Tango. They’re joined by the young and talented Connor Esterson as Tony and the adorable Everly Carganilla as Patty, making up the dynamic Spy Kids duo. And of course, every good adventure needs a formidable villain, played brilliantly by Billy Magnussen as Rey “The King” Kingston.

The movie revolves around the children of the world’s greatest secret agents, who find themselves in a precarious situation after unintentionally aiding a formidable game developer in releasing a computer virus. This virus grants him control over all technology, necessitating the young protagonists to step into the world of espionage to rescue their spy parents and ultimately, the world. 

The movie is primarily aimed at children, its target audience. If I’d had the chance to view it as a child, I would have absolutely loved it. It was enjoyable to see how the kids had the upper hand in their battle against the villain due to their extensive knowledge of the video game they had been playing.

The plot was well-structured, with a clear focus on the main goal of the kids saving the world. I appreciated this aspect because, as a child, I would want to dream big and our dreams shape our aspirations as we grow. This film encourages kids at a young age to be creative, think outside the box and strive for significant achievements, even when they are still small; values that would grow alongside them.

The characters in the movie did an excellent job, and their development throughout the story was evident. For instance, Tony, who initially cheated to win, learned from his sister’s advice and chose to play fairly and honestly. 

The animation quality was excellent and matched the movie’s theme. However, watching the movie as an adult, I couldn’t help but think that some of the challenges the kids faced were a bit too much, considering their young age. Nevertheless, the film’s message encourages us to dream big.

I would recommend this movie primarily for children. I genuinely liked the message it conveys: that honesty and kindness are better than cheating and taking advantage of others. I also appreciated the aspect of parents listening to their kids, recognizing their exposure to the game gave them valuable insights and ideas. This can serve as a lesson for other parents to pay attention to their children.

This film can undoubtedly help children develop morally, teaching them that honesty, peace and harmony are preferable to conflict. Additionally, it emphasizes the importance of teamwork as demonstrated by the family working together. It also sends a valuable message that it’s okay to ask for help and even children’s voices matter.