Planetarium shows return to LMC

First two shows are a major success

Antonio Johnson, Staff Writer

Astronomy’s planetarium shows are back at Los Medanos College after a hiatus due to COVID-19. The last show welcomed a group of girl scouts, who attended in the spring of 2022, but astronomy professor Scott Cabral is gearing the planetarium back up this semester with two recent shows on March 17 before spring break.

This planetarium show is a 40-minute exhibit that usually consists of viewing constellations from the GOTO Chronos projector. The projector shows more than 8,000 constellations, the Milky Way, planets, moons, and more.

The two recent shows were located in the planetarium theater room CC2-220. One showing started at 10 a.m. and the other at 12 p.m.

At the noon show, all the 54 seats in the room were occupied. 

Glancing around the room you could see happiness and joy displayed on the faces of the mostly adult members of the audience. Many uttered oohs and awes in astonishment. It was as if these grown adults were kids again inside a candy room. 

Cabral’s interaction with the audience seemed to captivate an astronomy group of retirees from Brentwood. 

Guest Bruce Hobbs, said he “loved the broad overview and cosmos.”

The planetarium is managed by Cabral, who has been teaching at LMC for 34 years and explained, when he was exposed to science at age 5, “He never lost interest in it.”

Cabral said he loves teaching and explaining things as simply as possible and has been hosting LMC planetarium shows since 1989. 

Cabral said it is important for the college to build positive relationships with the community through exhibits, adding, “it’s a great way to get to know your neighbors.”

Matthew Bajet, a student from LMC who attended the planetarium show said, he “felt like a little kid again watching stars at night in his backyard.” When the projector came up and the lights went out, he said he felt a sense of excitement as he sat waiting. 

“Turning off the lights usually makes me sleepy,” Bajet said, “but inside the planetarium I felt energized and enthusiastic.”

“Some changes are needed to keep the planetarium shows running more efficiently,” said Cabral. For example, the chronos projector model needs to be upgraded with a retro fit to reduce the chances of making dim stars. 

Planetarium shows were historically scheduled four or five times a semester, but due to COVID-19, LMC had to suspend them until recently. Stars in the planetarium are shining again for guests.