Stories and experiences are shared

Women’s Day is celebrated at LMC
History+Professor+David+Hlusak+tests+his+pain+tolerance+with+different+levels+of+the+period+cramp+simulator.+
Angella Dorado
History Professor David Hlusak tests his pain tolerance with different levels of the period cramp simulator.

To celebrate the start of Women’s History Month, LMC held an International Women’s Day celebration in the Student Union Conference Center from noon to 3 p.m. March 5. Students and faculty were encouraged to attend and learn about historical figures.

The room was filled with tables displaying informational posters about famous historical figures: women like Alma Thomas, Karol G, Angela Davis, Ida B. Wells, Jenni Rivera and Selena, to name a few.

Books from the LMC Library were set up for viewers to read, in addition to booths set up by the nursing department, Contra Costa Health, the Pride Alliance club and the Women in STEM club. 

Brenda Maya, part of Women in STEM, attended to present her club and seek out new members in any interested students.

“We’re showing women can be a part of STEM [and] subjects that are predominantly run by men,” Maya said. 

As students and staff explored the different tables, interviews played on screen highlighting the women leaders at Los Medanos College. 

Program Coordinator of Student Life, Lindsay Litowitz — who helped organize the event — described it as important, bringing people together offering food and fun. 

“Our students can see women leaders [who] don’t always get the kudos they deserve,” Litowitz said. 

The biggest attraction at the event was the period cramp simulator, which had both students and staff lining up to test their pain tolerance. There was a running tally to see who could get to the highest level.

History professors Patrick McCarter and David Hlusak tried the simulator, reaching levels 55 and 54. Their reactions gave those around them a good laugh.

“I understand different women experience different things. I definitely do give them a lot of extra credit if they do this,” Hlusak said. 

Both professors described the event as important for gaining perspective, beneficial for both women and men looking to learn more about the things women need to be aware of.

“I think a lot of the issues we tend to run into in society have to do with people not understanding a problem is a real problem because it’s not a problem to them,” Hlusak said. 

McCarter commented on how the event attacks the issue of gender wars in the social media world and the misconceptions generated from people not educating themselves. 

“I always tell my students, you’re not going to really learn anything unless you pick up a book and read, and not just do simple Google searches,” McCarter said. “Especially now with all the misinformation put out there.”

Student Mariah Martinez — who came up with the idea to hold the event — says she wanted a space where people could learn about resources and access them.

“I just wanted it to be a safe space where people could come by and learn about stuff and have fun,” Martinez said.