In-person graduation is back

LMC will hold the ceremony inside the Mustang Stadium.

Joseph Giddings

A graduation display inside the student bookstore.

Joseph Giddings, Staff Writer

As the school year begins to draw to a close and as the summer season approaches, so does the return of in-person graduation. 

Following two years of prerecorded and virtually hosted graduation ceremonies, the Los Medanos College graduation will once again return to campus in the Mustang Stadium on May 20 at 2:15 p.m. The ceremony is general admission and no tickets are required so students are encouraged to invite loved ones to celebrate with.

Prior to participating in the ceremony however, all students must be approved of their eligibility by Admissions and Records to ensure they have met their academic requirements. 

Once approved, students can visit the Pittsburg campus bookstore to purchase their graduation unit, a cap, gown and tassel for $19.45. Students can also purchase additional tassels for $5 along with LMC diploma covers and frames for sale for their new diplomas. They also can purchase LMC alumni items to represent their time at LMC. Graduation units will be on sale from May 2 till May 16.

Unlike ceremonies of the past, this year’s upcoming graduation holds a special significance in the hearts of those participating, such as Honors Club Outreach Co-Ambassador, Neda Mohsini. 

“I’m really excited because I graduated high school in 2020, so we never had a graduation in person,” said Mohsini. “So to have one in college and transfer is super exciting.”

Excitement about the return of in-person graduation ceremonies can be felt throughout campus not only from students, but faculty and staff as well.

“It’s nice being able to have the faculty out there and you know, cheering and celebrating the students as well as the families,” Andrew Murphy said, the LMC Bookstore supply buyer. “It’s going to change the tone and it’s almost going to have us back to our normal trend of coming back to in-person, and a little bit of normalcy.”

Much like Murphy, professor and Director of the Honors Program Jennifer Saito expresses her joy regarding the return of the ceremony and its ability to provide an opportunity for this year’s graduating class to be honored by those at the college, as well as provide a celebratory end to their time at LMC.

“I couldn’t be happier,” said Saito. “I’m just so thrilled that our graduates will be able to celebrate with their families in a public way, and welcome everybody back to our campus.”

Dave Belman, LMC dean of student success, also welcomes the on-campus return of this milestone moment in the lives of students.

“It is absolutely wonderful to be returning to holding Graduation in-person again this year,” Belman said. “Graduation is certainly one of LMC’s highlights and is perhaps the most exciting event of the year.”

While their time at LMC comes to an end, LMC President Bob Kratochvil said he admires this year’s graduating class and all the work they accomplished through the pandemic to achieve this moment in their lives.

“We are very proud of our graduates and their achievements. They’ve all worked extremely hard to get to this day,” Kratochvil said. “All of our faculty, classified professionals, and managers have focused on our students’ successes, and graduation is the culmination of their collective efforts in support of these incredible students.”