LMC continues search for VPI

Erick Amaya, Staff Writer

Los Medanos College is in search of filling the void position of Interim Vice President of Instruction (VPI). The appointee will take charge from January 2020 until the end of the academic year.  

The vacant position was offered to employees within the Contra Costa Community College District. Those interested in the position were asked to submit a letter of interest, a resume by Dec. 6, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. 

The VPI position will run from Jan. 6 to June 23, 2020. With the date soon approaching, interviews are set to be held Thursday, Dec. 12. The minimum requirements to apply for the position are a master’s degree from a college or university, and three or more years of management experience. 

“This position will promote and advance a shared vision for instructional programs that focuses on access, engagement, equitable outcomes, and success for LMC’s diverse student population,” said Recruitment and Classification Analysa Sophia Lever. 

Other desirable requirements for applicants include: three years of teaching college-level courses, having a doctorate degree, at least five years of successful administrative leadership, and having the ability to work with a diverse community within Los Medanos College and Contra Costa Community College District. 

LMC President hopes to have the Interim position filled by the end of the semester. “The successful candidate will: be a student-focused educator with an inclusive and approachable leadership style; demonstrate a commitment to equity and social justice; possess excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills; be a strategic, innovative thinker with strong problem-solving and organizational skills; and understand how to work effectively in a participatory governance environment,” said Lever.

This position is left vacant by Dr. Sally Montemayor, who was also an interim hiree. Montemayor will not be continuing her position following the conclusion of Fall 2019 semester. 

“I take this opportunity to extend my deep gratitude to Dr. Montemayor Lenz for serving Los Medanos College as Interim Vice President of Instruction this past year.  Sally has made an incredible difference during the time she has been with the College – not just in the Office of Instruction, but across the institution,” said LMC President Bob Kratochvil. He thanks Sally for her contributions and leadership during her tenure. 

Los Medanos College takes pride in being named among the “Top 150 U.S. Community College” by the Aspen Institution and looks to continue in the high ranks by hiring a new Interim Vice President of Instruction to works with other faculty members.