LGBTQ+ annual summit addresses necessary conversations of inclusion

Students and staff discuss changes on campus

Tatihn Mellieon, Staff Writer

The California Community College system hosts a yearly summit for LGBTQ+ faculty, staff and students, where all could share their experiences, what they’ve learned and how the queer community can be better represented and included in colleges. As such, Los Medanos College was in attendance, serving Panera Bread as the clock hit 9 a.m. Wednesday morning.

Students, staff and faculty gathered on the second floor of the Student Union building, watching keynote speakers such as CCC Board of Governors member Joshua Elizondo describing his struggles as a college student living out of his car and Associate Professor in Trans Studies in Education at the University of Arizona Dr. Z Nicolazzo discussing the importance of inclusion not only in higher education but across communities from roleplaying gaming to book clubs.

During the workshops, three rooms were dedicated to presentations and mini-lectures given by faculty and staff from colleges across the state, all dedicated to different aspects of LGBTQ+ life: the fight for gender-neutral bathrooms to the statistically observable crossover between queer and neurodivergent people.

While much of the summit touched on the joys and aspirations of the queer community, the reality of societal limitations, transphobia and apathy towards the community underlined the event. It seems that for every right step one college takes, another is two steps behind.

Despite such limitations, students are feeling that changes are coming in, “now that Pamela Ralston, the interim president, is part of the staff, there’s definitely more queer voices in upper-level management that can represent us better,” said the former Vice President of Los Medanos College Associated Students Antonio Moore, on the topic of campus representation and inclusivity at LMC. “Now I feel like there’s support for us,” Moore added.

“People are braver now, and I’m really happy to see it,” responded Library Tech Substitute Akila Briggs.

Jefferey Bui, current president of LMCAS and co-founder of Pride Alliance, also chimed in on the impromptu round table discussion, bringing up that “We don’t have our established space,” referring to the colloquially known Q-spot that no longer exists.

Bui shared his post-pandemic perspective, explaining that “there wasn’t any programming at all from administration,” when returning to campus, as well as that “A lot of administration always approach me, to get me and club members, to start programming or clubs or activities… but none of us have any experience.” 

“Why can’t you help us make it?” Bui questioned, and that resonated heavily with attendees.

Robert Delgado, Senior Program Coordinator at the Office of Equity & Inclusion, shared what he heard, saw and wanted to see implemented on campus, “the programming is very important. Earlier in the year we did a focused flex activity,” an event that centers around a discussion with faculty and how to interact with students in ways that are not only diverse but inclusive and equitable, “we need to do that every semester,” said Delgado.

When asked what he saw as the most significant want from LBGTQ+ students, Delgado was quick to respond, “having a space, the Unity Center is meant to do that… but the space is what I’m really trying to make inclusive.”

“How do we make it not just the club, but just an open space for any student to come in?” Delgado asked, a similar sentiment shared by students.

And so, while all reported the summit to be a successful and joyous event, there’s still much to be done at LMC for its LGBTQ+ community.