Filed under Campus

Rights observed

Founding document honored

Los Medanos College celebrated the 225th anniversary of the 1787 signing of the constitution Sept. 17.

The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2005 mandates educational facilities, who receive federal funding, are required to offer constitutional education each year on Constitution Day.

Student Senator Justin Simon, Commissioner of Campus Events Diona Shelbourne and Outreach Representative Jorge Cea kicked off the festivities by reading the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States.

Simon and Shelbourne continued to read it every 30 minutes so more students would have an opportunity to hear it.

Tables were set up by various offices on campus and presenters answered students’ questions as they handed out American Flags pins, pencils and pens to students who stopped by to check it out.

Shelbourne and Simon, whose goal was to recruit and explain what the student senate is all about, manned the LMCAS table.

Financial Aid Specialist Eva Monteverde also had a table and hand out bags containing a pocket book titled “The U.S. Constitution and Fascinating Facts About It” while trying to answer questions students had about financial aid.

LMC President Bob Kratochvil conversed with various deans and other faculty who came to participate in the festivities in what Student Life Coordinator Carla Rosas called a “president’s council.”

A small group of students played instruments and sang songs, showcasing many talented students coming together as one.

Lee Lawrence from the League of Women’s Voters had a table set up and was ready to help students register to vote or ask questions. She also informed students of measures the League supported and thought should be passed in the area.

Workshops were held in Room, L-109 from noon to 12:45 p.m. then again from 1 to 1:45 p.m.

One such workshop, led by Lawrence, was aimed at teaching students about Voter’s Rights.

About the Contributors
Tamara Seward, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Tamara but most people call me Tammy. I'm a divorced mother of three beautiful girls returning to school after eight years as a homemaker...

Cathie Lawrence, Sports Photographer/ Staff Writer

I'm very excited to be working on the staff of the Experience. I continue to enjoy my position as a Sports Photographer and Staff Writer...