Los Medanos College Mustangs overcome 5-0 deficit against Modesto

The Los Medanos College baseball team secured a 6-5 victory against Modesto Junior College on Thursday, Feb. 15.

Earlier in the week, the Mustangs had lost to Modesto by a score of 15-6. Despite their loss, they did not give up and they were able to defeat them this time around.

“Today we were just more competitive, in the zone and we’re forcing them to beat us instead of us beating ourselves,” said Mustangs Head Coach Harmen Sidhu.

For the first four innings, Modesto was in the lead with a score of 5-0. However, the Mustangs caught up to them and they were tied by the bottom of the sixth inning.

Sidhu gave credit to starting pitcher and designated hitter Rocco Borrelli as he helped the team stay in the game.

“The thing about Rocco is that I know he’s gonna compete and I know he’s not gonna back down,” he said. “So I knew that like even though they got on us a little early, I knew that he was gonna keep us in the game, and he did and that was huge because that game could’ve gotten out of hand early.”

Even though Borrelli pitched six innings, he still gave up five runs, nine hits, and four batters.

Relief pitcher Kenny Esposito came in at the seventh inning and shut down the Modesto lineup.

He kept the pirate’s lineup scoreless and surrendered two hits and one walk.

“Putting Kenny in the game was the most effective part,” said centerfielder Chase Taylor.

Taylor knocked in two runs during his first at bat in the sixth inning. He would single in the bottom of the eighth inning to score Brandon Marion as the eventual game-winning run.

“Chase Taylor came off the bench and got two huge hits, a couple [of] RBIs, some runs batted in, and then also he made that great catch to center field towards the end of the game, “ Sidhu said.

Outfielder Khamani Blackney suffered a head injury but was able to continue playing for the rest of the game.

With the win, the Mustangs improved to 7-3 in the season. The next home games are scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 24 against Hartnell College and Thursday, Feb. 29 against Sacramento City College.