Playoff hopes dashed

Shutout loss vs. Butte

From+eft+to+right%2C+Jazlyn+Avelino%2C+Emily+Sobolik%2C+Joslin+Sadler.+Kristina+Salazar%2C+and+Amaya+Mixon+pose+for+a+photo+during+a+pre-match+ceremony+during+their+final+home+game+as+Mustang+volleyball+players.+

Erick Amaya

From eft to right, Jazlyn Avelino, Emily Sobolik, Joslin Sadler. Kristina Salazar, and Amaya Mixon pose for a photo during a pre-match ceremony during their final home game as Mustang volleyball players.

Joseph Johnson, Staff Writer

The Los medanos College Mustangs, who entered the playoffs as number 19, suffered their playoff loss against Butte College which was number 14 losing it 3-0.

In the beginning, the match was close and intense with every player playing at the top of their game but ultimately Butte College college was the team that fought harder with them winning the first set 25-21. 

With the start of the second set on its way, the momentum was completely taken away from LMC by Butte College. LMC had started to build more and more errors within the team due to having some miscommunication trying to comeback from the Roadrunners constant scoring but ultimately Butte College won the set 13-25.

On the third set it was more of the same from the last two sets with Butte college dominating and starting off with the advantage early and making the Mustangs play catchup, Butte College won the third and final set with an easy 11-25.

A couple of Mustangs that had a stellar game were No. 9 Emily Sobolik who had an outstanding playoff stateline with 10 digs, 7 kills, and 32 TA’s, another player that had played well was No. 11, Amaya Mixon with 24 TA’s, 11 digs, and 4 kills.

Los Medanos College ended their season early but strong almost better than everyone else’s in their conference and top three in their conference, their overall record was 18-15, and their conference record 11-3. 

The last conference game was played against Solano College and the Mustangs lost that game three to none.

The Mustangs were in a race for the conference title in the Bay Valley Conference and came very close to achieving it but with the lost to Alameda, a team that is also in their conference, they got pushed back to third place and out of the race for the Bay Valley conference Champions. While they suffered a loss this year, the Mustangs were the winners of the BVC cup earlier this semester with baseball. 

This season the Mustangs had promised themselves to set a goal to be the first LMC women’s Volleyball team to win a playoff game. 

During the season the Mustangs were a decent and neutral team, winning the same amount of games on the road as they did at home, so overall the Mustangs were a well put together team this season.