Mustangs overcome obstacle

Stangs win 6-3

LMC vs. Solano College. LMC Pitcher #23 James Biles. April 10, 2018. Los Medanos College, Pittsbutg, Ca.

Cathie Lawrence

Cathie Lawrence

Hugo Calderon, Twitter.com/HugoCalderon09

Los Medanos College emerged victorious against Solano College, winning 6-3, despite head coach Anthony D’Albora and starting pitcher, James Biles being ejected from the game.

In the fifth inning the umpire tossed Biles and D’Albora out. Biles was trying to communicate with his coach from the mound. Interpreting this as something negative, the umpire overrode the warning that was given to Biles and sent him off right away instead.         

“It’s a good reminder that there are a lot of things that you don’t get to control. We don’t get to control the decisions that people make,” said D’albora. “The best thing we can do is put our head down and play hard.”

Myles Coston kicked off the Mustangs’ scoring, hitting an RBI double in the first inning. That was his 14th RBI of the season.  

“It felt good to get us on the board early,” said Coston. “I’m just trying to help the team as much as possible, trying to be a leader and trying to lead by example.”

The Falcons leveled it the following inning courtesy of Nik Dodson’s RBI single, but would have to wait until the fifth inning to touch home plate again.

The Mustangs responded to the ejection by scoring two runs the following inning thanks to RBIs from Jason Ochoa and Jose Vasquez, leading 5-2.

“Especially with our coach getting thrown out and our pitcher getting thrown out, it’s always nice to pick up the guys that have a good day,” said Ochoa. “What I try to preach is to take it one pitch at a time.”

The Mustangs ended the scoring in the seventh inning through Riley Cleary’s RBI single in which Vince Lontz scored an unearned run.

“I think today was as much as a team win as it could have been and that’s a good thing for us,” said D’Albora. “We talk everyday about being really good in the routine, all three phases. Making routine plays defensively, taking as many quality at bats as possible, and executing our pitches.”

Los Medanos will travel to Solano Saturday, April 14. For more information on LMC baseball go to http://www.losmedanos.edu/baseball/