49ers strike gold in Pittsburg

The Yuba College 49ers came into Pittsburg and beat the Los Medanos Mustangs three games to one, after what looked like a hot start from the Stangs.

The Mustangs started off hot, they won the first game soundly, beating Yuba 25-17. Things were looking good for LMC after such a hot start, it felt as if they would dominate the whole match. Yuba felt the pressure and knew they had to step their game up if they wanted to win.

Head coach Lou Panzella was very happy with his team knowing how good Yuba is, “the first set was the best set we played all season,” Said Panzella.

LMC looked as if they would control the game after game one.

“I was scared to death after losing the first set,’ said Yuba’s head coach Greg Chapman.

Yuba was the conference division champ, so the team had to live up to a reputation.

When it came down to it, Yuba delivered. After losing the first game, they came out and dominated the second set 25-6.

Panzella admitted the second game snowballed and got out of control on his team. They just couldn’t get a rhythm going. The Mustangs had 12 hitting errors in that set, almost half of Yuba’s total points.

“It’s tough to come back from that,” said Panzella.

Outside hitter Michelle Mayfield (11 kills, 14 digs) adds, “we started to make same mistakes, we started to get tired, we put our heads down.”

After taking game two Yuba never looked back and won sets three and four to win the game.

Despite losing three sets to one at home, there were some positives to be taken from the game. The Mustangs have a lot of first year players and both Panzella and Mayfield can see the improvement in the squad.

“We’ve definitely improved…. we are a lot better from the first day,” said Mayfield.

Despite losing, LMC had some strengths that didn’t go unnoticed.

“Overall ball control was pretty good, setters did a good job, the girls are getting better said Panzella.

Taylor Scriven and Kiana Pinkowski are veteran leaders on the team and it showed. The two played together at Liberty High school and now shine for the Mustangs. Scriven had an impressive 12 kills and 16 digs while Pinkowski had a whopping 29 assist, two aces, and 14 digs. Taylor Morgan also made a splash on the court with 12 digs.

“We need to stay focused, never give up, work more as a team, rather than individuals,” said Mayfield.

Currently LMC sits at 0-2 in conference play and 2-9 overall. Despite this the Mustangs look to improve as a squad.