Center for Academic Support extends hours

Students can now receive reading and writing assistance on Saturday via Zoom.

Michael Benedian

The inside of the Center for Academic Support.

Michael Benedian, Staff Writer

Do you have trouble when it comes to writing? Maybe you need some assistance with scholarship applications and personal statements. The Center for Academic Support, located on the third floor of the College Complex Building at Los Medanos College, is available to help with any of these issues, and they are now offering new times to provide assistance to a wide array of students.

“The Center for Academic Support was concerned that students who needed assistance outside of ‘normal’ working hours and early evenings might be in need of assistance,” said Richard Stanfield, a program assistant for the Center for Academic Support. “Thus, with an eye towards equity, we have expanded access to our Reading & Writing services.”

Students can make appointments up to 7 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays, up to 9 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday and now from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. These appointments are conducted through Zoom, however, the Center for Academic Support also provides some consultations in person on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays.

Before students can use these services, they are required to enroll in the supervised tutoring course SPTUT 020. This course is free, has no credit and no requirements and students only have to enroll once per semester on their first visit to the Center for Academic Support. Once signed up, students will be provided links to either live online consultations or email consultations.

With the live online consultation, students can make a 25 minute face-to-face appointment via Zoom. Students can receive feedback on their papers through email consultations. Although they try to provide feedback within 24 hours on Mondays through Friday, students should allow a minimum of 48 business hours for feedback.

These Reading and Writing appointments are done with actual English faculty members as of this time. English professor Dabney Lyons is one of the professors who are giving guidance to students who take part in these consultations.

I think the new hours are great!” said Lyons. “ Having availability later in the evening once or twice a week and having Saturdays available means that we’re able to help more students.”

Lyons also said how rewarding it is to be able to work with students who wouldn’t be able to meet in person over Zoom.

“The email consultations are helpful, but the discussion of a student’s essay and the issues they’re concerned about is much fuller and richer when we can speak in real-time,” she said.

These services are free of charge, giving students opportunities to benefit from their education. If you are interested in more information, visit the Center for Academic Support page.