‘Mirage’ combines old mechanics with new setting

Strong gameplay makes up for a shaky story
Basim Ibn Ishak waits for the right time to attack guards.

Assassin’s Creed is a franchise with many great installments over the course of its time. Since releasing in 2007, Assassin’s Creed has released 12 main open-world installments, with “Assassin’s Creed Mirage” being the latest to release. 

Mirage takes place in the year 861 at the height of the Abbasid Caliphate within the growing city of Baghdad and it focuses on Basim Ibn Ishak as he grows within the Hidden Ones. The game, set about ten years before the events of the previous entry in the series: “Assassin’s Creed Valhalla,” sees Basim grow from a common street thief into a master assassin hunting down The Order of The Ancient’s corruption that is infecting the country. With the release of this installment, we return much to the roots of the genre. 

Mirage’s story is alright and it sees the reuse of the successful formula the last few games had, in which the investigations tab features a broad look at all your case progress and multiple cases can be accepted at once. Not only that, but Mirage also sees the return of many fan-favorite features from the previous games; such as blending into crowds, notoriety, wanted posters, bribing mercenaries and a few others.

With the game originally intended to be downloadable content for the previous installment, Mirage isn’t as big in size as Valhalla and the story experience is also shorter. But despite this, Mirage doesn’t fail to deliver great visuals and set itself apart from the other entries with its interesting look into the Brotherhood of Assassins’ early days after its formation in Ptolemaic Egypt.

Aside from its prominent place in the timeline, Mirage also sees the series’ refocus into stealth combat as it had in earlier games. The actual combat system is a purposefully watered-down version of Valhalla’s and it’s quite clear the trajectory you are supposed to take in several encounters. In some cases, missions require you to implement aspects of stealth in order to even complete the mission. 

Mirage isn’t the best entry into the Assasins’ Creed Franchise in recent times, but that doesn’t mean by any stretch of the imagination that it is a bad game. It is a quite enjoyable experience to partake in and sees the return of many prominent features that had been in previous games. Overall, I would definitely recommend buying “Assassin’s Creed Mirage,” as it is an incredibly fun entry into a fan favorite franchise.