The emotional beauty in “Dear Evan Hansen”

The stage-to-screen musical adaptation succeeds in creating a heartwarming impact.

IMDb

Ben Platt as Evan Hansen and Amandla Stenberg as Alana Beck sitting together on a swing set.

Audrey Lichty, Correspondent

“Dear Evan Hansen” is both a heartfelt and heartbreaking story about a teenager trying to deal with depression and anxiety, and a family grieving the loss of their son and brother. The musical movie, released in theaters Sept. 24, was adapted beautifully from stage to screen. 

Evan Hansen is a 17-year-old boy trying to fit in as he navigates the confusion of high school while also coping with social anxiety and loss. His story will show you you’re not alone and that you matter to someone in the world. Each lyric, line and emotion portrayed on the screen will make it seem as if you are part of the movie.

The astounding performances by Ben Platt as Evan Hansen, Kaitlyn Dever as Zoe Murphy, Amy Adams as Cynthia Murphy and Julianne Moore as Heidi Hansen are nothing less than moving. 

The soundtrack is the perfect mixture of soft melodies and powerful ballads that help get the story across. “The Anonymous Ones” resonates and showcases how easy it is not to realize someone could be struggling but look completely normal because they’ve learned to mask their problems. “Waving Through a Window” is about the struggle of feeling invisible and alone with no one to talk to, wondering if anyone actually sees you. “Requiem” is a poignant song about the struggles of mourning someone you lost because they treated you poorly when they were alive. 

Director Stephen Chbosky makes every scene a heartfelt display of raw emotion. Grab some tissues and go to a theater with a friend because “Dear Evan Hansen” is a movie you do not want to miss.