A dream journey of mine

One fine August day, I received a life-changing call to adventure. In this case, it was a literal phone call; one of those unexpected calls from my grandpa that afterward I was extremely glad I picked up. He informed me about an upcoming trip through DVC where students would get the opportunity to study abroad in Florence, Italy. 

My grandpa urged me to go, repeating his usual words of wisdom about how I should never live my life missing out on its opportunities and regretting things. He was so serious about me doing this that, when I told him I couldn’t afford it, he offered to pay. He knew this was special to me and I needed to do it while I’m still young. 

Here I was, confronted by the opportunity of a lifetime, which now seemed more possible than before – how could I possibly refuse?

Deciding to go to Italy was a no-brainer. Italy feels like an old family friend I have heard so much about but have yet to meet. For some background, my dad also studied abroad in Florence when he was my age and I grew up hearing about his wild adventures, always dreaming that someday I would be able to experience Italy for myself and have some adventures of my own (admittedly, with much less debauchery).

Much of my other family also, in their raving reviews of escapades in Italy, had fueled this fire of wanderlust in me. I used to watch Rick Steves’ Europe with my grandparents religiously, and I memorized the Italian Riviera towns. So yes, I was no stranger to Italy; it was calling to me often in my everyday life, through such mediums as in movies, television, or Pinterest, to remind me how beautiful and romantic it is there. 

After all, who doesn’t want a passionate, splendiferous fling under the Tuscan sun, a Call Me By Your Name moment?

Yet my dreams of traveling, as dreams often do, felt too good to be true or “delulu”, like a delusional fever dream. I somehow had convinced myself over the years that I was stuck in the town I so desperately yearned to escape. It’s not until very recently that I’m able to acknowledge the fact that these dreams are actually coming true.

It may be a dream come true and all, but dreams usually don’t just happen by themselves – you have to make the effort to ensure they will come true. Admittedly, the preparation to make the dream a reality has not been all that worry-free. For one, I fretted over my passport and whether or not it would come in time – it arrived exactly the day it was due. 

In the beginning of the trip process, there’s also the “but I don’t know anybody” thing and “I won’t make friends” worries. For me, I started off with no friends who were going. I was hoping that my friends would be able to join me, but luckily, I met other students who, over a short period of time, became great friends, and I’m sure our bonds will develop further over the course of the trip.

Studying abroad offers a freedom you never get to experience. Sure, there will be classes and you do have to attend them. After all, it is a study abroad and not a party abroad. It’s not everyday you can pass by beautiful Renaissance architecture, incredible monuments of history, on the way to class. And after class, party it up, swing by the Riviera for the day, or roam around Rome for the weekend.

Italy is all about living la dolce vita, the sweet life, and there’s no better time than the present to live your life the way you want.

By the time you’re reading this, I’ll be embarking on the trip of a lifetime for 3 months in Florence, Italy, starting from February 3rd until May 3rd. During that time, I’ll be sharing my personal experience abroad to The Experience and with you all in the hopes of inspiring and encouraging Los Medanos students and faculty to travel, open your mind to new experiences, and seize those special opportunities when they come!