Opposing views does not equal division

Growing up during this “woke movement” I’ve seen society grow from becoming more culturally and socially aware to being hypersensitive. Many conflicts have arisen due to these intense emotions regarding topics that deserve a platform to be discussed, but should not be the root of riots or massive upheaves.

A topic that has been controversial forever is LGBTQ+ rights, a movement that has gained much forward traction since the turn of the century, and rightfully so. Everyone is entitled to liberty and the pursuit of happiness, it is their natural given right. But just like life and liberty, everyone is naturally granted to believe in whatever they choose to and not everyone is going to believe in the same things. We as a society must learn to remember this and not let emotional disagreements occur just because of opposing views. Neither side will fully achieve their goal by promoting violence or hate of any kind, and neither will they accomplish anything if they are submissive as they are scared of offending anyone.

The same thing happens for every controversial subject: race, Sexuality, Religion, Johnny Depp vs. Amber Heard, Presidential Elections, etc. People always are quick to run to one side of a conflict and voice their opinion but swear to the people who don’t share the same opinion they’re wrong. If you truly believe your opinion is the closest thing to fact, you must acknowledge that the person with the opposing view feels the same way. Doing so, you can at least make an attempt to understand their view while still not having to agree with it either. But you gain knowledge, and maybe even further cementing yourself in your opinion, but you don’t let it ruin your day. But while being respectful of other people’s beliefs, you certainly have the right for your beliefs to be respected as well. Of course, preach your beliefs when someone shows interest in the matter but never force them on another.

Just as of recently, it seems like the world is divided in their opinions on the Palestine/Israel conflict. As soon as Hamas launched the missiles, many people took to social media to broadcast their opinions on the conflict and to say what side they supported, as if these words would provide any aid on the matter itself. Why is it that there have been massive scenes of violence lately due to opposing views on the matter? Why are American citizens tearing down missing posters for fellow Americans who were misfortunate enough to get caught in a conflict that wasn’t theirs?

Matters always have multiple sides to them, especially if they are controversial. Whether they are religious or social matters, or matters of justice, everyone will have their own idea of what is right and wrong. Everyone is entitled to believe in their opinion as if it were fact, but that should not be confused with assuming it as fact. As long as you are respectful to others and to yourself, any conflict can be resolved.